CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

On the subject of Air Conditioning

Marika

Does anyone know how cold the AC should be blowing when measured with a temperature probe inserted into the vent? At idle and while driving at 35mph and 55mph+?

My 92 Seville SLS was converted to the newer system a few years ago and I'm told by the mechanic that the new gases used to charge the system are not as efficient as the older gases.

Anyone have an ideas about this? <_>

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Marika, I'll list values from my '97 service manual. These should be close, if not identical, to the specs for your '92.

Ambient Temp / Humidity / Discharge Temp

70*F /

70*F / >50% / 52-58*F

80*F /

80*F / >50% / 60-66*F

90*F /

90*F / >40% / 70-75*F

100*F /

100*F / >20% / 80-86*F

110*F / Moderate / 70-80*F

120*F / Moderate / 75-85*F

The flowchart after this performance table basically asks a series of questions if the system is not within spec.

Does compressor cycle?

No: Recover refrigerant; check for missing orifice tube. If tube is present, check for restriction in suction line between compressor and pressure cycling switch. If no restriction, overcharge condition is indicated. Evacuate and recharge.

Yes: Recover refrigerant; check for plugged orifice tube. Evacuate and charge.

If you are noticing a loss in system performance, it's due to low refrigerant, or an error in the initial conversion. You can not detect any difference in refrigerant performance without instruments. Here's a thread.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Great information. Thanks!!!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Marika,

I recall Guru saying the difference between R12 & R134a can only be noticed with instrumentation.

There is a chart in the service manual that gives expected duct temeratures. They range from 49-55 degrees @ 70 OAT (outside air temp) with low humidity to 75-85 Degrees @ 120 OAT with moderate humidity.

Archived