CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

wait three minutes

skyman

Yesterday, on my way home from the grocery store, I turned the key to start....and nothing. I looked down at the screen on the computer and it said "wait three minutes". So there I sat waiting. It counted down....wait two minutes,wait one minute then it said "start car". I turned the key and it fired right up. This morning, I tried pulling some codes. The only thing I came up with was a code for the slider switch for the twilight sentenial time delay for the headlights that has been coming on and for for several years. But nothing else.

Does this "wait three minutes" thing ring a bell with anyone on here? It's kind of got me baffled.

Sky

Assuming there's nothing wrong with your car's security system, perhaps someone tried to start your car with the wrong key (i.e., they tried to steal it).

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

That makes sense. It has done this maybe twice before but with no message on the computer. I would just turn the key off and then to start again and it would start. But this time it made me wait three minutes. It started fine this morning but I'll start using the spare key and see if that helps. That must be the problem because no one tried to steal it.

Many thanks

happened to me too. Here is the thread with all the helpful caddyinfo replies:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=19366

Hope that helps.

FYI Mine hasn't had the issue since. Thanks for reminding me to get a second set of keys made.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I find that every several years the contacts on the resistor on my key wears down and I get that. Usually it throws a code:

B2710 PASSKey Open/Shorted Pellet

B2711 PASSKey Open/Shorted Pellet After Good Key

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the dealer and had a new spare key made. On the way home I stopped at the mall and when I came out, the car wouldnt start. I did not get a three minute count down message but basically it acted the same way. Each time I turned the key, I would here one distinct click coming from the glove box area. I kept trying but to no avail so I called tripleA and just as I was finishing talking to them, I turned the key and it started. ????? Next day I went back to the dealer and they installed a new ignition switch. They said there was a broken wire. It started fine for the rest of the day and the next day. This morning, I needed to go into town and when I turned the key, the same thing happened again. When I turned the key all I got was a click from the glove box area of the dash where the computer is. I had a new starter put in this summer. Could I possibly have a starter that sticks every so often? perhaps a failing ECM or BCM?

Check your OBD II codes. If you are getting a message on the DIC and a three-minute countdown, it's a PassKey error. The code will likely be something like

P058 (E058) PASSKey Control Problem

The dealer didn't get it right. Call him about it NOW, and take it back ASAP.

Here's how to read the OBD codes:

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

The only codes I'm showing are B120 history and R026 history. So far I havent been able to find the R026 code in my shop manual.

One thing that has got me baffled though is the fact that I WAS showing some Ecodes in history and a few Bcodes in history also and.......without me clearing them, they just disappeared on their own.

PLEASE I need some help. Supposed to drive to NC for my grandsons birthday later this week.

I just googled the R026 code. Apparent,y the mechanic didnt unplug the yellow connector for the aie bag when he replaced the ignition switch. So that has nothing to do with my no start problem.

R026 Driver Initiator Circuit Open

Yeah, he didn't plug the air bag connector back in.

OK, now tell us what it was. :huh:

Ouch. Have a nice day. :blink:

Archived