CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

TIRE QUESTION

boosted475

Okay at the risk of sounding stupid, I ask this question.

I recently heard that tires actually have an expiration date?

That after X-amount of years even if the tread is good, the rubber is bad?

Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Thanks.

do you have a car with old tires or are looking to buy used tires and have come across some old tires for sale? when i was young and single, i did not really care about buying used tires. now that i am older and wiser, i prefer to have newer, less suspect tires on my cars. my vote is to replace tires at 5+ years.

"my vote is to replace tires at 5+ years."

I agree. Tires do breakdown as they age and old tires may dis-integrate under long periods of hot high speed use.

This is something I need to do fairly soon myself. The tires on my XJS are getting old and I have one that I've been watching.

FYI - The DOT code stamped on all tires can be deciphered to determine a tire's age. I used to know how, but..... Info should be easy to find on the web if you're curious.

In my RV'ing days, I learned quickly that tire age is a huge issue in those circles. Most RV tires rot long before the tread is gone. Seven years was the rule of thumb I heard most often.

do you have a car with old tires or are looking to buy used tires and have come across some old tires for sale? when i was young and single, i did not really care about buying used tires. now that i am older and wiser, i prefer to have newer, less suspect tires on my cars. my vote is to replace tires at 5+ years.

I was thinking of buying used (95% tread left) tires to save some cash.. but I guess not anymore lol

FYI - The DOT code stamped on all tires can be deciphered to determine a tire's age. I used to know how, but..... Info should be easy to find on the web if you're curious.

In my RV'ing days, I learned quickly that tire age is a huge issue in those circles. Most RV tires rot long before the tread is gone. Seven years was the rule of thumb I heard most often.

Watch the video I posted a link to--It shows how to determine how old a tire is.

I was thinking of buying used (95% tread left) tires to save some cash.. but I guess not anymore lol

I just put a matching set of Michelin Symmetry tires on my Deville. They were rated "like new" by the tire dealer. I am lucky to have a reputable used dealer in my area. I have purchased ALL my tires from them for many years any only once gotten a bad tire, which they replaced at no cost.

I even put a set of "like new" Goodyears Eagles LS tires on my mothers PT Cruiser last fall.

For those of us on a budget springing for new tires can be a stretch and picking up a set of good, name brand, used tires at a fraction of the cost of a set of new, cheap, off-brand tires is a good option.

I always inspect the tires before they are installed and always get a set of 4 matching tires. If it makes you feel better, find out the procedure to read the expiration date and check the tires before you purchase.

2001 Deville, Sterling Silver exterior with Dark Gray leather, 93k miles

4 digit code on sidewall. week and year. 1107 is 11th week of 2007. mid march if i think right. wife has a work van that door sticker says built in jan, 02. the tires say 0202. built 2nd week of 2002. only has 48k miles though. michelin tires and they are due for replacement. tread is getting pretty shallow. i looked at a used set of rims/tires last month. 4202 date code. ugh. 7yr old tires? looked great. no cracks and nice tread but too old for me. not real easy to find low mile newer tires for great savings. 50% of new cost is eaten up by mounting and balancing. everyone wants $300 for a set of nice used tires. when new is 450?

I usually get rid of tires at about 40000 miles, after that, while they still look good, they dont shed water as well as they should and they lose their wet weather traction. I have to laugh at friends of mine who get aggravated if they don't get the 60,000 to 80,000 miles 'warranted' amount advertised when they are new, but they are cheap. I have said on more than one occasion, what a laugh, you'll get 80,000 miles and put your FAMILY at risk..... when he does a high speed 360 in the rain, only then will he realize how STUPID his action is....cheapness can be dangerous in TIRES....

I have loved the Michelin Pilot in the past, and I can only dream of what the Michelin Hydroedge would be like

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Obviously storage should figure into the age, but is the least reliable to judge. The '01 Symmetries on the back of my car are worn out and cracked, but you'd expect that as the car was outside all the time. A set of never-used 6 year old tires that were out of the rain and sun in a climate-controlled 73 degree building would probably be better than 3 year old ones stored outside in a stack in the sun.

cheapness can be dangerous in TIRES....

I have loved the Michelin Pilot in the past, and I can only dream of what the Michelin Hydroedge would be like

I have had two sets of Michelin Hydroedge.

They are great tires.

They don't make the right size to fit my present car, or they would already be on it.

Posted Image

Stop teasing me Jim, :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Obviously storage should figure into the age, but is the least reliable to judge. The '01 Symmetries on the back of my car are worn out and cracked, but you'd expect that as the car was outside all the time. A set of never-used 6 year old tires that were out of the rain and sun in a climate-controlled 73 degree building would probably be better than 3 year old ones stored outside in a stack in the sun.

yeah I don't have a garage so my car and its tires are exposed to the elements 24/7

Archived