CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

K&N for 97 Eldo?

EldoEsq.

Ok, I have one, The Cool Blue by accel fits a lot better but save your money because they say here you have nothing to gain. I'd say they are right. Well at least it is not worth the cash. Just put in a paper. Bruce even did some tests with some type of meter and the times were slightly better with a paper filter.

MC

I also agree that the K&N and other performance filters dont seem to do anything special, but I just happen to have a K&N just for the hell of it.

EldoEsq. I took the filter from the year before and trimmed it down to fit properly.

You can find that info back on Caddyinfo.com

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Tell me if I am wrong but somewhere I read that the K&N filter is so free flowing that it allows more fine dirt to flow also requiring more frequent oil changes. Has anyone heard that? Mike

Tell me if I am wrong but somewhere I read that the K&N filter is so free flowing that it allows more fine dirt to flow also requiring more frequent oil changes.

I think it stands to reason that anything that supposedly allows more air in would also allow more contaminants in. Cotton-gauze filters rely on a thin film of oil to keep dirt particles out of the engine airstream. Check it out -- you can look right through the filter. No thanks -- not on my vehicle. :)

K&N's marketing department would like you to believe the filter by itself will add 7hp. In reality, the K&N filter alone will add next to nothing to the performance of the car (as folks other than I have already stated above). In fact, Bruce has performed instrumented testing (using instruments readily available to the public) that shows the same or decreased performance using open-element cotton-gauze filters.

I've had it on mine, and took it back off. I didn't like it. Click here for details.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

jadcock, you have sold me on the AC Delco...Thanks for savin me 50 bucks!!

I still have my K&N cone if anyone wants to purchase one. :) I'll let it go cheap.

P.S. I do not work for AC-Delco. :P

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Want to make a million or few and design/market a performance add-on? :rolleyes:

Design Parameters:

1. Roaring Engine intake.

2. Snarling exhaust.

3. Rougher ride.

4. Jerkier shifts.

5. Mucho Grande stickers (see graphic below) and disclaimers.

Ok then, most of the design parameters need be carefully achieved by a DIY'er in a few days or chop shop parts cruisers in a few minutes. Only need to remove or disable existing stock equipment.

No real engineering or financial investment here. Just need to have your baby sister "document the test results" and print a glossy how-to, best - if if on a CD with its very own cool graphic. That graphic and of course the product name! Wow! this is really going to test your artistic interpretation, mental stamina and rock-solid business acumen.

Marketing:

List on E-bay. Make sure to include the cool graphics. Sound would awesome!

Offer to simply download the entire technical and operational documentation library to the types who think they’re getting something for nothing anyway. Not even a stamp to lick!

You have already done all the hard parts, the money should come rolling in... B) Need some way to remember which credit card it is set up! (tough one there)

Opps, now you worry about how pay all that income tax... :blink:

Wait Wait ! Have I ever got a deal for you how to stop those unfair taxes :D

I humbly apologize if I have offended anyone by some mild sarcasm ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I have a 96 STS, im not sure if ur 97 eldo is the same kind of intake box, i used to have the cone k&n on my car, and i didnt like it, it made nice growl noises at wot but i noticed my car acting different around driving rpm (1500 -2000) btw i didnt have a heat sheild, now i have the flat panel filter going into my stock airbox and it seems to have added more growl, not as much as the cone, and my drivability is perfect, i think it had something to do with the fact that the cone was getting warm engine air into the system, and the stock one takes in cold air......

ANYWAYS the point was that both K&n's i got are the 99 pontiac grandprix gtp model my friend has one and both stock boxes and pipe sizes fit identically.

so if u want a k & n for the car to try it out, get one for a 99 grand prix gtp

Archived