CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Both of my Eldorados Hauled off as junk??? Not my 70! I’m devastated!

Five years ago, all of my time and resources were being channeled into the pre-production effort of a low budget movie called Culture wars. I had recently sold the “Shelter” movie Mustang (one of my daily drivers) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3360648 and my 82 Eldorado’s 472 had started knocking.

Both of my Eldorados were on my property in non-running condition and the neighbors began to complain. Having non-running autos is a violation of my “bill of assurance” and was why my 500 powered 72 Mustang fastback had been stored at a friend’s house. That friend’s yard was full of his own project cars (and parts cars) so there was no room to add the Caddys. I did not have time to fix my 82 before the movie’s filming and my 70 would no longer fit into my garage because of things we needed to store.

I had another friend who owned a bodyshop 120 miles away who supported my filmmaking efforts and who had thought about investing in my movie, but was unable at the time. I asked him if I could keep my Eldorados in the field behind his body shop where he stored his projects and told him it would at least be a year or more – depending on my filming progress. I also told him that when I could do something with them, I might hire him to do the work. He agreed.

Well, the filming of that movie was sabotaged and the footage is so wrecked it will take extensive CG work and some very creative editing to fix it, so I was unable to finish the project. That botched filmmaking job has robbed me of the credibility to get more investors for other filmmaking projects. Therefore, I have had to live “as a fish out of water” working various jobs (sometimes two or three jobs at the same time) just to pay the bills.

Then as some of you remember, there was my mom’s death, my wife’s breast cancer, and my 72 Mustang getting “stolen” or hauled off. My friend with the body shop understood my situation and said the cars were just fine where they were.

So Recently, I found out that my wife had sandbagged just over $500 for my upcoming birthday and wanted me to fix my 82 Eldorado. I started a budget for it and found a guy at work who would overhaul the engine for free labor. All I would have to buy was parts. I got excited and was working out a temporary place close to home for one or both of the cars and called the guy to ask about their current condition and to see if I would need a chainsaw to cut brush away from them…..

Then he “dropped the bomb”. He said that he had lost my number and was being pushed to get the cars off of his uncle’s field. Apparently the uncle is about to die and the uncle’s kids don’t want anyone else’s vehicles on the property when he passes away. My friend took his wife to the hospital a few months ago, and when he came back, both of my Eldoraodos were gone.

I’m talking about my 1970 Eldorado (my first car- and one that I have owned for 28 years and have raced in the SCCA autocross)

70eldoradoatnight.jpg

… and my 1982 Eldorado with TBI injected 472 and a half-finished pro-touring suspension of my own design.

cody_82_eldo_472.jpg

I am currently trying to find out if they went to a crusher or a salvage yard. Either way, they have been gone for a few months and it doesn’t look good. I once had three Big block Caddy powered projects… and then I got poor. Now I have no project cars…

The loss of my 1970 Eldorado hurts deep because I never wanted to sell that car. It is the best car I have ever owned and would out accelerate, out corner and out stop both of my 72 Mustangs. Even if I get another 70 Eldorado, the history I have with that one can’t be replaced.

Cody G. Carson

Click here to visit the main directory for my subforum about my 2002 Eldorado build for autocross racing:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=96

Sorry to hear that!! It seems when it rains it pours and everything happens at once. Just a few thoughts.... have you called the local salvage yards or even local police dept and ask for there impound?? A last ditch effort would be to report them stolen to police and let them track them down fast, but you also risk local code violations or issues with them not being currently licensed or insured. Not sure what your local laws are there, but most areas allow you to store vehicles that are not running and send plates back to state. Someone has to know the name of the towing company that was called to come and get them. Maybe contact the relatives of the owner of the land and ask in a nice way. Also explain your emotional connection with the vehicles and maybe they will tell you who they had tow them. Most people think if the vehicle is not new or only a few years old that it is junk. There is a lot of sentimental value some have in there vehicles and personal memorys that make that vehicle more than a piece of metal. Good luck and persistance pays off. Hang in there and keep us updated if you do find them. Take care

That really sucks. I love the body style of those early 80's eldos.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Your vehicle's were stolen. You have been wronged. You have been financially damaged. A crime has been committed. So, have you called the police?

By the way, the story you were told about your phone number being lost I feel is just that, a story. The license plates on the vehicles, or even just the VIN # could have been easily used to locate you with a simple call to the DMV. I suspect this gentleman falsely assumed that you had abandoned your vehicles, sold them off and kept the money for themselves.

In addition, if this was your municipality towing these cars away, they needed to give you prior warning AND leave you notification that they had been impounded, they just CAN NOT take your cars away

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

In addition, if this was your municipality towing these cars away, they needed to give you prior warning AND leave you notification that they had been impounded, they just CAN NOT take your cars away

I had to take care of other things for the past couple of days, but I am now back in search mode. I am looking for both titles and am getting reary to make a police report. thanks

Click here to visit the main directory for my subforum about my 2002 Eldorado build for autocross racing:

One thing you can do fast is put the VINS in a CarFAX. Anything you turn up can be included in the police report. A hot lead can make the difference between the dead file and an immediate recovery.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

One thing you can do fast is put the VINS in a CarFAX. Anything you turn up can be included in the police report. A hot lead can make the difference between the dead file and an immediate recovery.

Great idea! I would think the DMV could do this too?

You would be surprised at how little real legwork gets done in low-priority police work. Think overworked, understaffed, underfunded, and forced prioritization. If you do the legwork open to you, this makes their effort cost-effective on their terms, and they can get the job done. Give them a break and they can help you. Give them nothing, and they can't do much if anything.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

“To make a long story short; my cars were caught in a family feud and were crushed…” If you want the long version, read the rest of the post.

After several phone calls, I have finally leaned what happened to my Eldorados. They guy who owned the body shop where my cars were being stored has a wife who was in the hospital in January and February of this year. He would come home for the night and then go to be with her during the day. It was on a weekend in late Jan. or early Feb. that he noticed two of his trucks and both of my Eldorados were gone from the field that they were stored in – a field by his body shop that was owned by his uncle. His focus was on his wife at the time, but he did enquire to his uncle about what happened; The uncle explained that his kids had the property cleaned off in preparation for his death. My friend is not on speaking terms with his cousins and after his wife came out of the hospital, he was behind on work, so he had to catch up. Also, he was trying to make as few waves as possible because he wants to buy the property from his cousins when the uncle dies – however, he believes that they will sell it to anyone except him due to their feud.

When I called to let him know I was getting ready to come after one or both cars, I got the bad news that they were gone and he called his uncle to find out who took the cars and where. His uncle got the name of the man from the cousins and my friend called him. However, he was only able to talk to the man’s wife because he was out of state contracting another job. It was a waiting game for a week until the guy returned.

When he did return, he said that he had been hired to take both of my cars and my friend’s two trucks to a scrap metal yard. I got the number of the yard they were taken to and called them. The owner remembered crushing two Cadillacs in the late Jan. early Feb. time frame.

To make a long story short; my cars were caught in a family feud and were crushed.

I know I may have some legal options, but going to court would cause me to make a dying man to testify against his own kids. The uncle never minded my cars being there. My friend has apologized dozens of times in the phone calls we have had. I don’t know what to do- I can’t get the cars back.

I just wanted to race my 70 Eldorado again in the autocross (after a pro touring conversion)….. Sure I can build another one, but it just won’t be the same. I know the car is only metal, but the sentimental part is much more than that. I am so connected with the memories I had in that car (stupid I know) but I feel like a friend has died. I don’t want to put a dying man on the witness stand I think despite my feelings, blood should be thicker than oil – they were after all, cars …

I am glad that still have the original engine in my garage. Maybe I’ll feel like some of that car carries over to the next one… And maybe that’s just plain silly, because its only a car…. No, I’m lying to myself. That car is ----- was--- the anchor point in my past memories. There are over three hundred collective stoplight drag race and autocross victories in that car with a kill list that includes; Camaros, Trans Ams, Chevelles, Novas, Mustangs, Monte Carlos, Cutlasses, 240Zs, 280Zs, a 6o’s Jag convertible with a V-12, just about every year and kind of truck… the list just goes on an on.

I had quit racing on the streets years ago. The track is only what I had in mind. When I do build another car, I hope I like racing as much as I did when I was behind the wheel of my 70 Eldo. But with my last 20 years of low income jobs, a good quality car project may be out of reach for a while; it just seems to loose priority when bills are due….. Maybe I’m just down right now…. Or maybe I have missed so many years of racing that I have forgotten what it is like.

I had over 500 hours of research and over 500 hours of work in the 82, but it had never raced. I could replace the 82 easily with enough money and enough time. But my 70 Eldorado is gone and it is not coming back…. Nothing can replace my 70 – my first, my fastest, and my best car.

Cody G. Carson

Regardless of the reason your cars were stolen from you, (let's not mince words, that's what happened), you have been financially damaged. You should be compensated and if you don't want to stand up for your rights in court for some reason, you should still be financially compensated out of court. If the property your cars were stored on is going up for sale, there's YOUR MONEY. You should be compensated for the value of those cars and an agreement needs to be reached as soon as possible, or it is going to look like you don't care about the issue and you will lose any credibility you had.

Did you file a police report yet? To have a legal leg to stand on, you must document this.

Don't be a, "nice guy", and let people walk all over you, (as they are). That's not being a, "nice guy", that's just being a fool. If this guy is sooo sorry, he will compensate you for your financial loss, so you can afford to replace the two cars that were taken from you.

Yeah, I would at least have a friendly talk with the appropriate police. It's amazing what you can learn about the real world and your options like that.

It wouldn't hurt to talk to the police but there has to be a time limit to the amount of time that a car can be left before it is considered abandoned.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It wouldn't hurt to talk to the police but there has to be a time limit to the amount of time that a car can be left before it is considered abandoned.

Keep in mind, it's not like he left the cars there and just walked away, abandoning the cars. He had an agreement with the property owner and that agreement was violated. Doesn't matter why it was violated, the fact is it was and as a result, his two cars were stolen.

Keep in mind, it's not like he left the cars there and just walked away, abandoning the cars. He had an agreement with the property owner and that agreement was violated. Doesn't matter why it was violated, the fact is it was and as a result, his two cars were stolen.

I know but it was a verbal agreement - with nothing in writing, it is the property owner's word against the car owner's word. It wouldn't hurt to talk to the police but I think proving the case would be difficult.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Taking titled motor vehicles doesn't require a lot of documentation to prove a misdemeanor charge. On the contrary, if someone hauled off the vehicles without written permission from the owners, it's on the head of whoever made the decision on their own without contacting the owners. It's going to go back to the estranged cousins pretty quick. If you can show some documentation that the cars were special in any way, and I'm sure you can, that would help.

Until you actually walk in and have a little talk with a police officer with half a brain and his full attention, everything is speculation and presumption. There is a statute of limitations, which is likely pretty short, and the clock started ticking when you found out that your cars were gone. I would get to it.

Taking titled motor vehicles doesn't require a lot of documentation to prove a misdemeanor charge. On the contrary, if someone hauled off the vehicles without written permission from the owners, it's on the head of whoever made the decision on their own without contacting the owners. It's going to go back to the estranged cousins pretty quick. If you can show some documentation that the cars were special in any way, and I'm sure you can, that would help.

Until you actually walk in and have a little talk with a police officer with half a brain and his full attention, everything is speculation and presumption. There is a statute of limitations, which is likely pretty short, and the clock started ticking when you found out that your cars were gone. I would get to it.

I'll second that.

If you have a family lawyer, one who helped you close on a house or wrote a will for you or a family member, whatever, you might call them and ask them about this too. A third person might be the county prosecutor's office -- just a casual call about your options, not a complaint.

I'm looking into the legal options, now. Thank you for the advice.

I'm looking into the legal options, now. Thank you for the advice.

Well good luck with it. I hate to see anyone get shafted like this, especially over old/classic cars that are almost irreplaceable. I can understand that you don't necessarily want to go after this guy, (IF he is telling you the truth even!), but don't forget, YOU were the one who has been wronged here. YOU have been seriously financially damaged. It just seems to me that if this person was sincere in being sorry about what he claims happened to your cars, then he would immediately be offering you financial compensation once that property has been sold. Since he's not doing that...well, again, don't be a nice guy and just allow someone to take your property from you scott free. That's just not right by any stretch of the imagination. He has already admitted that he full well knew you did NOT abandon your cars, so he is liable for the damages caused to you. Again, doesn't matter what sob story he gives you, the fact is you have been wronged and that needs to be addressed. If this guy was on the up and up, then it shouldn't be any problem financially compensating you. Keep an even head and both eyes wide open.

Keep us posted and good luck with this.

• 2 weeks later...

Most junk yards require a vehicle TITLE before they take them or even crush them! I would call local police in your area and ask if this is the case in your area. If so, not only do you have a legal claim against people that had vehicle towed but also the salvage yard that did the crushing with out property documents!! Double win!! I know your feeling down now, but like the other poster said, Made In America, get some fight in you and act fast now!! File a stolen police report, and also find out what your legal rights are. Come up with a replacement value on those vehicles, and you can take those involved to small claims court yourself without an attorney!!! Just a small filing fee if the damage claim is usually 3000 to 5000 or less. If the loss is going to be more then you will have to seek damages outide of small claims court!!

If you get a judgement against those involved you could put a lein on the property or other property they own. I would not let this slip buy!! Nobody has the right to take your vehicles and tow them and not reimburse you fo them after they have been destroyed without your knowledge or permission!!! There are also free attorneys that you can call or your local legal aid sociciety in your area is free!!! I understand you have interest in trying to obtain the land but this might give you the money and leverage you need to do so!! I do believe things happen for a reason, good bad or other. This might have happened so you can get that property or another piece of property that would be suitable. Hope you do follow the advice and persue this and dont drop it!!! You were DAMAGED and VIOLATED by what happened, not only financially but emotionally!! Not sure if you can claim damages for emotional part, but for sure the financial part!!! We will all cheer you on!!! GO CODY!!! Keep us posted!! People need to know that they cant damage or destroy other peoples property without some kind of repercusion!!!

Just another tidbit- where I live in Louisville Ky, the founder and owner of Papa Johns Pizza had to sell his Z78 Camero I think a 1972 model, years ago to save his fathers bar business!!! Once he made it with his pizza business he has been looking all over the country for his Beloved Camero!! For the last 10 yrs!! He finally found it in the same state, Kentucky!! Someone bought it back in 1994 for 4500.00 Just the other day the guy drove it to the Papa Johns Pizza headquarters here and took John for a Ride. John purchased the car back from this guy for 250,000 !!!!! Yess!! It did look good gold with black stripes on hood. Look up article on internet. Either Papa Johns Pizza or local news paper, Courier Journal. John Schneider owner of Papa Johns Pizza presented this guy with a check for 250,000 and had tears in his eyes!! His whole company had a celebration about it. He even said nationwide that anyone that drives to Papa Johns restaurant on certain day in a Camero gets a free pizza!! Not trying to promote Camero, just pointing out the emotional connection people have with there vehicles and how far they will go and pay to get them back!!!

Good Luck Cody!!

Yeah, if anyone sees a 1966 Corvette 427 engine, VIN 194376S111802, let me knnow. I'm not Papa John and can't buy a car like that now but I would like to see it again, and hear its history since September 1967, when I sold it. A doctor drove it to Chicago, I understand.

Archived