CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Now how do you do a WOT exactly?....

Wondering how to do a WOT in my 01 SLS, to clean the carbon out. I think I read somewhere here that you put it in 2nd gear and get it up to 6000 RPM going around 40 mph. When I tried this it shifted into third way before I got close to hitting 6000 RPM, what am i missing? thanks

Wondering how to do a WOT in my 01 SLS, to clean the carbon out. I think I read somewhere here that you put it in 2nd gear and get it up to 6000 RPM going around 40 mph. When I tried this it shifted into third way before I got close to hitting 6000 RPM, what am i missing? thanks

01slscaddy - First of all, what problems is the car having that you feel this might be of benefit completing?

Just start out in 2nd and nail it. Hold your foot to the floor til about 70 MPH and then back off and let it back down to 50 or so. Now either do it again or drop it in D and continue merrily on your way.

01slscaddy - First of all, what problems is the car having that you feel this might be of benefit completing?

The car isnt having any problems, but I was under the impression that doing the WOT was healthy for the engine and should be done on a regular basis- is this accurate?

Just start out in 2nd and nail it. Hold your foot to the floor til about 70 MPH and then back off and let it back down to 50 or so. Now either do it again or drop it in D and continue merrily on your way.

Thanks for the info, i'll give it a shot!

The car isnt having any problems, but I was under the impression that doing the WOT was healthy for the engine and should be done on a regular basis- is this accurate?

There is a very tight clearance area in the cylinder head known as the squish area. It has to do with causing circulation of the fuel/air mixture during the compression stroke. If carbon builds up in that area, the piston contacts it causing piston slap for a few seconds after start up. The WOT procedure cleans out the carbon. This piston slap aka cold carbon rap seems to be more prevalent on the pre 2000's.

• 3 months later...

There is a very tight clearance area in the cylinder head known as the squish area. It has to do with causing circulation of the fuel/air mixture during the compression stroke. If carbon builds up in that area, the piston contacts it causing piston slap for a few seconds after start up. The WOT procedure cleans out the carbon. This piston slap aka cold carbon rap seems to be more prevalent on the pre 2000's.

Thanks for that info, what I had thought to be a lifter might well be what you describe. It does not happen after I have done some hard and fast driving. My car is a 99 Eldo.

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

ok im new at this what is "wot" an akronym for

43655807_a46d727e81.jpg

Archived