CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

RIP: Walter Cronkite

"Uncle Walter" singly disposed of a U.S. President. LBJ was no friend of mine, but he said (and I'm paraphrasing), "I've lost Walter Cronkite, and so I've lost middle America." LBJ did not run again for the Presidency. Should Walter Cronkite have had such power?

Walter Cronkite, for better or worse, issued in the current era wherein the folk of the fourth estate whether in print, video or otherwise command all our thoughts if we haven't any of our own. Dan Rather worked hard, but didn't quite get the job done thereafter.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Wasn't it Cronkite who reported negatively on the war in Viet Nam after a trip there and turned the tide of public and media opinion?

Yes, after returning from 'Nam Mr. Cronkite (or his writer) originated the redundant phrase, "Mired in a quagmire." That was echoed repeatedly and began the end of the public's support for the war effort.

Further, he pronounced the Tet Offensive a complete failure. History reported otherwise, but his reporting soured Americans.

Now please don't misunderstand me; I was a Liberal in those days and worshiped Uncle Walter's very footprints. I meant no disrespect. I just meant to question the unelected power invested in him by J.Q.P., aka Joe Sixpack.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I just meant to question the unelected power invested in him by J.Q.P., aka Joe Sixpack.

I know what you meant Warren and that is why I mentioned his war report. It just proved the point even more. BTW, I had the pleasure of being there for TET. Got there just in time.

BTW, I had the pleasure of being there for TET. Got there just in time.

Glad you got out in time. Hopefully, intact.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

No, I meant I got there just before TET. Made it 295 days before my luck ran out, but I got out intact.

INTACT is good!

Posted Image

Anyone remember:

"Good night Chet; good night David.?"

Posted Image

Archived