CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tire press

diRtY

hi i just wanted to ask you how many psi´s are better for the tires i mean where do you have more performance i have a 94 sts and my manual says 29 psi´s my tires are michelin pilot xgtv4 22560r16

thanx

I have Bridgestone touring tires and always kept them about 32 psi front and 30 rear.

As a result, the outsides of the tire were wearing first.

I now use 36 front and 32 rear.

Someone on this board suggested using one (1) lb. air for every lb. your car weighs.

Best suggestion I've heard in a long time.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

hi i just wanted to ask you how many psi´s are better for the tires i mean where do you have more performance i have a 94 sts and my manual says 29 psi´s my tires are michelin pilot xgtv4 22560r16

thanx

Run them hard, I personally add between 3 to 6 pounds over the stated pressure, as long as it does not exceed the maximum pressure on the sidewall. Also, keep the stagger that is stated, meaning if the front is 32 and the rear is 30, increase those numbers. This helps 1) handling, and 2) gas mileage due to lower rolling resistence. The only negative is that you may take bumps harder and possible your wet handling may change is you run them very hard, experiment with it. Mike

I had a guy at Firestone tell me a few years ago that they now recommend 35 psi. He said they wear better. Maybe that's partially why I have 85K on my tires.

thanx

I've run a set of Michelin Pilots, 255/50x16 XGT Z-4's on my STS, at 36psi front, 34 rear. After 30,000 miles it was very evident that the center treads had worn first...over inflated. I finished that set at about 40,000 miles, wtih 34F, 32 rear.

My brand new set of Michelin Pilots are running at 34 front, 32 rear. The ride quality is smoother, well see how the wear pattern proceceds at these psi levels.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived