CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

high pitched noise / no first gear

Hi I have a 98 sls and it has a very high pitched noise at idle and cold goes away after about 20 min. It just stoped it dosent fade.

any help would be great. also cant get fisrt gear reverse works fine but no first even if shifted manualy.

thanks Jared

Hi I have a 98 sls and it has a very high pitched noise at idle and cold goes away after about 20 min. It just stoped it dosent fade.

any help would be great. also cant get fisrt gear reverse works fine but no first even if shifted manualy.

thanks Jared

Are you saying that you have no first gear, but it is starting out in second?

Where is the high pitched noise coming from?

Go to the top of this page, click how to, then DTC codes, and follow the directions on how to retrieve the codes from your on board diagnostic computer and post them here.

Make sure your traction control is ON... if it is off, you will start off in second. However certain problems with the transmission will cause it to default to second gear starts

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

the noise is under the hood. and the traction control switch was turned off.

thanks

SO...does that mean that it is starting out in 1st gear now?

The high pitched noise that abruptly stops...does it do it every time when the engine is cold?

Sometimes?

Does it ever do it when the engine is warmed up?

Need more information and description.

Posted Image

the noise is under the hood. and the traction control switch was turned off.

thanks

SO...does that mean that it is starting out in 1st gear now?

The high pitched noise that abruptly stops...does it do it every time when the engine is cold?

Sometimes?

Does it ever do it when the engine is warmed up?

Need more information and description.

Trans is working fine.

Yes the noise is every time it is started cold. if it is warm and sits for a while it will make the noise again but not for as long.

thanks Jared

Trans is working fine.

Yes the noise is every time it is started cold. if it is warm and sits for a while it will make the noise again but not for as long.

thanks Jared

My guess at this point...it is your AIR pump.

AIR, stand for Air Injection Reactor...I think.

It is a belt driven pump that pumps extra air into the exhaust system to help the cats get fired up on cold starts.

Sounds like you have an air leak in one of the lines till it warms up and goes from open loop to closed loop.

Some of them have an ANTI BACKFIRE VALVE in the line and all the connections are held with hose clamps.

Check all the lines coming from the AIR pump to the exhaust system. Make DOUBLE SURE that all hose clamps are tight.

On some of them..(not sure of the exact models)...water could get in the AIR pump and ruin it. I am not sure if that would cause the high pitched noise or not... I don't really think it would.

Posted Image

Archived