CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

overheating problem

joker664

i have a 1998 cadillac deville with a northstar engine i put new radiator,new hoses,new water pump,new thermostat and its still overheating i don't if my head gaskets are gone already i checked the oil already thank god no water in it , or could it be something else like needind a motor flush a cooling system flush i don't know can someone help with an answer is possible

northstar head gaskets when they fail usually don't put water in oil mine did after about a year of driving on bad head gaskets do a compression test easy way other than compression test is to start car with coolant tank cap off and smell the top of the coolant tank were the coolant look for small bubbles they should not be there and if it smells like gas or exhaust your head gaskets are done sorry to hear it and if there is white smoke or steam coming out of exhaust pipes than yeah head gasket My 99 Eldorado ETC doing same thing with 95,000 miles have engine out right now I nursed it a year with the problem driving the car very easy hardly pushing the gas and it would not overheat but head gasket finally went all the way.

Check the coolant for combustion gases. If they're present you have pulled headbolts and, (if you can't Timesert the block yourself), the best solution is to replace the motor with a used motor that has been Timeserted.

Or dump the car.

Ten year old Cadillacs are worth virtually nothing on the used car market and, if your car has pulled headbolts it most certainly is worth nothing.

It will cost you more to fix pulled headbolts than what the car is worth.

My opinion only, but I've been there...

Check the coolant for combustion gases. If they're present you have pulled headbolts and, (if you can't Timesert the block yourself), the best solution is to replace the motor with a used motor that has been Timeserted.

Or dump the car.

Ten year old Cadillacs are worth virtually nothing on the used car market and, if your car has pulled headbolts it most certainly is worth nothing.

It will cost you more to fix pulled headbolts than what the car is worth.

My opinion only, but I've been there...

Soooo harsh!! But he's telling the truth, sorry about your luck. Will these cars EVER be worth anything???

Not until the headbolt issue is a thing of the past.

My Deville has 140,000 miles on it and it has never had the head gasket or head bolt issue and i acquired the car with 59,000 miles on it, but I have had the low oil pressure problem.

Many, many Northstars never had the problem of pulled headbolts but enough did to prevent me from buying a used Cadillac of this vintage. I've Timeserted one Northstar in the car and I'll never Timesert another.

Archived