CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 Cadillac STS Driver Seatback Recliner Motor

quasi

Hello All,

I will be trying to fix my 1999 STS driver seat back this weekend. Does anyone know where thie seat back recliner motor is located? I am assuming at the back of (not under) the seat but I am not sure. Seat is stuck in the fully upright position. (Quite a problem) I believe the seats move by wormdrive gear. Might be mechanically stuck or could be a switching problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark <_<

Hello All,

I will be trying to fix my 1999 STS driver seat back this weekend. Does anyone know where thie seat back recliner motor is located? I am assuming at the back of (not under) the seat but I am not sure. Seat is stuck in the fully upright position. (Quite a problem) I believe the seats move by wormdrive gear. Might be mechanically stuck or could be a switching problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark

<_<

On the 96. the motor is under the seat, I need to change or repair mine. Recline the other seat and put your hand on each motor to tell which one controls the back, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hello Again,

I have the seat cushion off and I do not believe any of the three motors under the seat control the seat back positioning. I have an electrical scematic from ALLDATA which shows five (5) motors. I believe the three under the seat control the front/back vertical movement and horizontal movement of the bottom seat. The headrest and seat back appear to be driven by two additional motors which I am guessing are in the seat back. The motor that positions the seat back is the one I'd like to repair/replace. Anyone have any idea of the location of that motor? Thanks all.

Mark

Ok, the seat recliner motor is located in the seat back. The cover on the back of the seat pops off. Four clips hold it in place. Once off the seat back recliner motor is located at the bottom right hand corner of the seat back. Two other smaller motors are located at the top right and left of the seat back. I believe these are for the head rest. The seat back motor appears to be connected by two small screws. One screw is easily accesabile, the other looks like it will be tough to get to. If anyone has changed out one of these motors please let me know how it went. My motor appears to be weakening especially as you need the seat to come back to the upright position. Thanks for everyone's help!!

Archived