CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

92 Deville front doors stuck closed locks are stuck locked

Hi purchased car that set up for 5 years because dealer told original owner the replacement fuel pump would be 1800 for pump sending unit and labor WOW.... I just installed pump car runs great need to do a brake job, because corrosion has cracked the brake portioning valve causing a total loss of fluid and no brakes at all.. Car has a new transmission installed by dealer 10,000 miles ago I have all paper work on the car only paid 300 for this car with 112000 miles on it... My problem is both front doors are stuck shut will not unlock the locks are frozen when trying to push up the lock manually on both front doors it only goes half way up and both front doors will not open... HELP how can i get to the locks with the doors shut is it possable to remove the door panels on the 92 deville with the doors closed.. All by the way the reason i purchased the car was because my 99 eldorado blew head gaskets both of them so I needed a car to drive while I pull engine on that car will be so much fun RIGHT... Thanks for any suggestions

Thanks for any suggestions

Doubtful that you could get the door panels off without destroying them.

It sounds like the latch mechanisms are rusted and stuck. A hail mary attempt might be to get some rust buster spray with the little spray tube, drill a tiny hole through the door panels just above the arm rest at the back of the door, and stick the tube in to spray down the locks.

Not the smoothest move, but for a $300 car, what the heck.

I read your PM to me, and have no idea as to how to resolve this, short of destroying the door panels and replacing them

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I wouldn't drill any holes in the panel... the odds of getting any hole in the right place where lube would do any good are as good as slim to none.

You may be able to remove the lock bezel trim and gain access through the resulting opening without having to remove the door panel. I would double check the service manual so you know exactly how to remove the lock bezel or you rin a high risk of damaging it.

It seems to me there is always 2-3 clips that are toward the front of the door that are blocked by the dash so dislodging them may be a challenge.

Another thought is to consult a locksmith - maybe they have some ideas on how to move the lock rod as in a slim-jim.

Good luck and post back your results.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Buy or make a slim jim and slip it down between the glass and the rubber seal above the lock. Fish around till you snag it. I've done it with a coat hangar. If you live in a small town, sometimes the police will do it for you.

I wouldn't drill any holes in the panel... the odds of getting any hole in the right place where lube would do any good are as good as slim to none.

My thought was to try and hit the jamb-end of the door, at or above the latch. It could wash over the latch as it runs down.

This comment in the original post is what makes me think the latch itself is the problem: "when trying to push up the lock manually on both front doors it only goes half way up"

FWIW............

The latch is not the problem it is the locks period the locks from inside the door or with the key outside or using the power locks will not unlock all the way when you manually unlock the doors by pushing up on the lock it will only go up half way. I took off the little panel were the lock button is I can grab the lock rod with pliers but it will not budge all it does is bend the lock rod so maybe I can take off the arm rest panel and see inside the door. If I take off the arm rest portion of the door panel which I can do with the doors closed WILL I BE ABLE TO HAVE ANY ACCESS to the locks is there a hole behind the arm rest portion of the panel ... This is driving me crazy as it is not just one door it is both front doors back ones open and unlock fine thank GOD.......

Steps:

1. Locksmith (or cooperative used-car dealer or a local police officer or fireman) to get both doors open.
  2. Remove door panels.
  3. Repair or replace parts as appropriate, including new keys if necessary.
  4. Drive car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Im a lcoksmith

Grew up in the industry and have worked on many card locks and problems

This is not a common problem

Slim Jim will not help

Couple of questions

1. How long has it been since the door locks were working?

2. Can you turn the key from the outside and if yes what happens?

3. The latch mechanism is usually pretty well greased so I would think the issue is binding more than rust.

4. Was the door hard to close at all before you had this problem? Sagging?

Lift the door if possible from the botton without pulling on handle up to take presure off latch then try to pull up buttons

it is the locks period

I agree. The actual locking happens in the latch assembly at the back of the door.

the locks from inside the door or with the key outside or using the power locks will not unlock all the way...I can grab the lock rod with pliers but it will not budge all it does is bend the lock rod

Right. The locking tang in the latch assembly won't move.

If I take off the arm rest portion of the door panel which I can do with the doors closed WILL I BE ABLE TO HAVE ANY ACCESS

Its doubtful, but maybe. You'll most likely find solid metal with a few holes that are too small to get your arm through.

is it possible that the power door lock module half way through travel is freezing up because when you move lock button it actually sounds like you are turning a gear in a motor which is part of the old way the power locks work then it just stops moving just before it moves enough the actually pull the lock all the way free....

New to the group, just purchased a '96 Sedan Deville last week and the passenger electric door lock stopped working yesterday. Bummer. Not sure if this is the right place for this, but it seemed like a problem somewhat similar to the original post. I can still manually unlock and lock the door, but is the interior panel relatively easy to remove on this vehicle? I have had this panel off on a '96 Ram pick-up and a 2005 Mini Cooper S, but wanted to know if there are some key issues with removing a Cadillac door panel. If I'm posting in the wrong spot please let me know where else I may try to look for repairing a power electric lock on my car. Thanks!

-ZB

Hi purchased car that set up for 5 years because dealer told original owner the replacement fuel pump would be 1800 for pump sending unit and labor WOW.... I just installed pump car runs great need to do a brake job, because corrosion has cracked the brake portioning valve causing a total loss of fluid and no brakes at all.. Car has a new transmission installed by dealer 10,000 miles ago I have all paper work on the car only paid 300 for this car with 112000 miles on it... My problem is both front doors are stuck shut will not unlock the locks are frozen when trying to push up the lock manually on both front doors it only goes half way up and both front doors will not open... HELP how can i get to the locks with the doors shut is it possable to remove the door panels on the 92 deville with the doors closed.. All by the way the reason i purchased the car was because my 99 eldorado blew head gaskets both of them so I needed a car to drive while I pull engine on that car will be so much fun RIGHT... Thanks for any suggestions

Did you ever get the doors open? :huh: Thanks, Rob

I had a 84 Cavalier that had the drivers side door stuck so I got inside the car and kicked the door until it opened (lots of rust flew) and then applied some WD40 to the door catches. I probably wouldnt do that for a Cadi, but thats a remedy that worked for me. :D

I have heard of that remedy for some cars being applied at body shops and other knowledgeably and experienced shops. I would imagine that it is effective and doesn't cause further damage when other things are being applied at the same time, such as pushing from the outside at points that will not dimple the door skin, latch release with slim jim, etc. If this was my car, I would let a body shop do it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 4 years later...

Hi guys,

I had the same on my 1999 Seville.

After half a year standing in the garage the driver side door was stuck with the lock closed and the latch would only come up half way when pressing the unlock button.

I pushed the hose of a spray can with WD40 past the latch and gave it a good flush in all the directions I could reach

behind the door panel. After an hour or so the lock was working perfectly again and I could open the door.

The bad news :

Now the passenger side door has the same problem, but this time the trick with the WD40 won't work.

Anyone figured out yet how to open the door without distroying the door panel ?

I use a good tip. I install a wood shim between the window and the window seal (the flat seal at the bottom of the window) at the back by the handle. then you can spray a penetrating spray into the latch assembly easier. I have done it a few times with very good results. you are spraying over the top of the latch so it runs right into it.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Hi guys,

After half a year standing in the garage the driver side door was stuck with the lock closed and the latch would only come up half way when pressing the unlock button.

I pushed the hose of a spray can with WD40 past the latch and gave it a good flush in all the directions I could reach

behind the door panel. After an hour or so the lock was working perfectly again and I could open the door.

The bad news :

Now the passenger side door has the same problem, but this time the trick with the WD40 won't work.

I have had to change 2 regulators on different doors in my 2004 Deville and even when I am extra careful the cheap plastic door panels will break tabs or crack edges. I have found out to use a 1" or 2" putty knife and gently pry on the door panels to get them loose. Just try not to break too many tabs.

Hi guys,

The bad news :

I have had to change 2 regulators on different doors in my 2004 Deville and even when I am extra careful the cheap plastic door panels will break tabs or crack edges. I have found out to use a 1" or 2" putty knife and gently pry on the door panels to get them loose. Just try not to break too many tabs.

I can't even get a knife behind the panel. The door panel is stuck against the frame seal and the dash panel.

Thanks a lot anyhow.

I use a good tip. I install a wood shim between the window and the window seal (the flat seal at the bottom of the window) at the back by the handle. then you can spray a penetrating spray into the latch assembly easier. I have done it a few times with very good results. you are spraying over the top of the latch so it runs right into it.

Hi,

good idea and I tried it, but no luck. I do get an intermittent DTC related to the door lock data link. Last hope is to go and see a dealer who can check with a Tech1, if the door can be opened with a software command. Does anyone know if this is possible at all i.e. to tell the door actuator to open via OBD II ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I dont think it would help. Is this on the 99? I am sure someone can chime in on if you can pull your own codes on this Seville.

Thanks for the response. I have had very good luck with doing that trick

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 months later...

I dont think it would help. Is this on the 99? I am sure someone can chime in on if you can pull your own codes on this Seville.

In case you are interested how I finally solved it here's the story. I went to see the local Cadillac dealer to ask them what to do. They spent over an hour on the door, but couldn't open it either.

However, they were able to confirm that its not a software malfunction. It's mechanical. They advised me to get a replacement for the door panel on ebay and saw the panel away. But there was none available with my trim color.

Since there was nothing to loose I tried a few more things. I pulled off the leather armrest from the door panel breaking the plastic fastner holding it from below. Then I drilled some holes through the part thats not seen from outside (under the arm rest ) and sprayed some more WD40. Again no success. Finally I cut a hole in the panel, but only that it would not be seen when putting the arm rest back on. I also had to brake away the black plastic cover between the door panel and the door itself. Piece by piece tearing it out so that I could finally get my hand into the door. However, this was still not enough to move the hand ! So finally I decided to get the spray can inside and give it good spray this time hopefully also reaching the door latch. Next day I pressed the door unlock switch and at the same time pulled the knob up and .... it finally popped open after almost four weeks!

So all tricks done before actually didn't get the spray on the right spot, probably only spraying on the plastic cover of the actuator, but not the latch. Since I sprayed it with white grease now it works ok even though its rusty.

The problem is in the design of the door. The water runs down the vertical rubber window chanel which ends right above the door lock ! So anybody with a 1999 Seville or similar better get the door panel off and grease the door latch inside !

The repair was easy. I just glued the arm rest pad back on. Nothing detectable from the outsiode now. Hope that helps !

In case you are interested how I finally solved it here's the story. I went to see the local Cadillac dealer to ask them what to do. They spent over an hour on the door, but couldn't open it either.

However, they were able to confirm that its not a software malfunction. It's mechanical. They advised me to get a replacement for the door panel on ebay and saw the panel away. But there was none available with my trim color.

Since there was nothing to loose I tried a few more things. I pulled off the leather armrest from the door panel breaking the plastic fastner holding it from below. Then I drilled some holes through the part thats not seen from outside (under the arm rest ) and sprayed some more WD40. Again no success. Finally I cut a hole in the panel, but only that it would not be seen when putting the arm rest back on. I also had to brake away the black plastic cover between the door panel and the door itself. Piece by piece tearing it out so that I could finally get my hand into the door. However, this was still not enough to move the hand ! So finally I decided to get the spray can inside and give it good spray this time hopefully also reaching the door latch. Next day I pressed the door unlock switch and at the same time pulled the knob up and .... it finally popped open after almost four weeks!

So all tricks done before actually didn't get the spray on the right spot, probably only spraying on the plastic cover of the actuator, but not the latch. Since I sprayed it with white grease now it works ok even though its rusty.

The problem is in the design of the door. The water runs down the vertical rubber window chanel which ends right above the door lock ! So anybody with a 1999 Seville or similar better get the door panel off and grease the door latch inside !

The repair was easy. I just glued the arm rest pad back on. Nothing detectable from the outsiode now. Hope that helps !

Thanks for providing an update on how you solved the problem.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Glad you figured it out,

Unfortunately it is not a common problem. I have owned tons of GMs and all have had the same design.

only 2 GMs I have seen common issues with is

The 2 door with the handle integrated into the pillar of the door. Aweful design

And alot of the later 80s and early 90s had poor design for the door lock cylinders, the hole to release the cylinder from the handle was on the top side so water and other things go right into the lock. Solution was in 95 to put the hole on the bottom and reverse the lock cylinders.

Out of all of the GMs I have owned those 2 are the most common issues. I have yet to have a door latch rust up.

It is always A good thing to open and close the doors once in awhile and give them a lithium treatment.

Thanks for posting your results, good luck with the door panel

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived