CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water pump tool

Logan

Getting ready to rebuild the cooling system. New heater hoses etc. Got those. 184k miles. 2001 Northstar version.

Considering new water pump and thermostat at the same time.

Anyone have a water pump tool they would like to rent?

Getting ready to rebuild the cooling system. New heater hoses etc. Got those. 184k miles. 2001 Northstar version.

Considering new water pump and thermostat at the same time.

Anyone have a water pump tool they would like to rent?

Send me your address, Ill send you mine, return it when you are done with it, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Got a tool on Saturday from Alex.

I thought i would be doing the job Sunday. But we have a rain storm going on.

I got all the little heater hoses here. Guess I need to get the big hoses too.

Maybe next Saturday.

Good lord. I wish that job onto no one.

Original problem. Kind of sudden cool heat. Suspected clogged heater core with sealer. Car is getting pretty old. It was time for new stuff etc.

Anyway, all new hoses, thermostat and water pump.

No room to get to heater hoses (7 of them). Easier the cut the heater core hoses and remove the whole piping tree.

Had to remove rear coil pack for a little more access to the heater core spring clamps. Ended up using screw clamps on those 2 going back together. Being the coil pack was involved, so too was the secondary air valve etc. If you got one of those, you know how fun they are. Job was fricking pain in the a**.

Thermostat looked like crap. Did find a clogged pipe. It was clogged 6-7 inches. Be sure to see the picture.

post-2-1240710102_thumb.jpg

Is that pipe part of the heater plumbing??

Did you find a similar accumulation of coolant supplement inside the rubber hose??

Was that accumulation of supplement damp, or dry??

I'm asking because I want to understand why the supplement collects at a given point in the cooling system. And 6 - 7 inches is a serious accumulation. Makes me want to ask if that particular hose clamp might have been seeping small amounts of coolant over a long period of time/miles.

I have experience with spring type clamps losing their tension over time (heating - cooling cycles).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I'm asking because I want to understand why the supplement collects at a given point in the cooling system.

Jim, I recall the Guru saying that it will accumulate at low flow areas. Just one more reason that I no longer use it.

Larry:

I have saved several hundred of his posts and comments from several sites over the years.

And yes, the cooling system supplement does accumulate in 'low flow' areas; but the only low flow area in my '98 model engine is the air purge line and the coolant reservoir. The block / heads (and heater core) see a very high (he emphasized "very high") rate of flow due to the cooling system design intent of minimizing 'hot spots' in aluminum castings.

The interior of my coolant reservoir is shaded brown due to the presence of the supplement. There is no easy way to remove the stains from the reservoir due to the baffled interior design. I have learned to accept the brown stains as an indication that there is at least enough supplement present to offer me some insurance against nuisance leaks. Which has happened.

So why would the supplement accumulate in a heater hose (for example)? Low flow?; I doubt that. Dried out supplement accumulation suggests a leak and the presence of air.

I don't have the answer.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

No build up in the rubber hoses.

This pipe is the one directly behind cylinder #1 , #3 and #5 on the firewall. Metal pipe that leads from the coolant tank to the heater core. It does use heater hoses on each end.

I would say the material was wet, had to poke a screwdriver thru the pipe to loosen and flush out the buildup.

Yes, coolant using sealer 'looks' like bad rusty coolant.

Heater had worked fine during the winter. Very recently started getting low heater output. Figured the sealer had clogged the heater core. I have seen this happen before and the service manual also suggested to back flush the heater core.

I bet at some point, I must of added some sealer via the overflow tank.

That said, I was really surprised at this heater pipe.

Besides the low heater output, coolant system seemed to be working fine. Temps and tank level normal.

Heat seems to be back but I have to wait for the cooling system to burp overnight. I too, was surprised by the slug of sealer in this specific area.

Anyway, the car (2001, 180k) was really needing the new hoses, water pump, and thermostat etc due to age and mileage. Job is now done and I now know the exact conditions of the cooling system.

My cooling system should be ok for the next several years. Car looks great for 180k. People are surprised it has that many miles.

Because I drive my cars over 200k. I've done heater hoses in the past as maintence on other cars. I just dont remember one being such a pain in the a** to do.

Am I getting old? My hands just don't work the same anymore..

I think that picture is pretty good evidence that the sealant tabs have a tendency to build up even in higher flow areas. I am starting to think that is the reason that GM stopped using this stuff. After my own experience on the underside of the radiator cap (GM 3800) and pics like that, I am turned more and more against that stuff. I won't use it again. Fortunately my '03 has never seen them.

Archived