CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wandering STS

KHE

My '97 STS has been "wandering" while driving down the road. I decided to get to the bottom of the problem after bringing my Fleetwood Brougham home from winter storage. When I got home with the Brougham, my wife told me, "Something is wrong with the STS - it is all over the road". A few months ago, I noticed there was something wrong but other projects took priority.

I initially thought the inner tie rods were bad and ordered the tool to change the tie rods. I discovered the inner tie rods were fine and then thought the problem was the intermediate steering shaft assembly. Further investigation showed there was not any play in the steering components. I then raised the rear of the car and checked the rear tires for looseness. The left rear tire had about 1/8" of play and the right rear tire had zero play. I initlally thought it was the wheel bearing but wanted to be sure since the bearing is horribly expensive.

I had my wife rock the tire while I was under the car looking for relative movement in the suspension components. I discovered the play in the upper knuckle "bushing".

I seem to recall that item was not available but that Moog was going to be marketing a press in cross axial ball joint replacement the first part of this year.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin, as I noted in my other thread, MOOG is suppose to have a replacement part available about now, Ill contact them and see what they say, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I started the bushing replacement job last night. It was not that bad of a job to remove the knuckle. The outer toe rod bolt had some blue threadlocker on it. It was probably a dry-lock patch that was applied to the bolt. When I reassemble it, I'll use some loctite on it.

The upper bushing was totally shot - I could rock the inner sleeve of the bushing back and forth about 1/4" The lower cross axis ball joint was still fairly tight but the seals were gone and it was only a matter of time before it developed play. I decided to wire wheel the rusty knuckle and then paint it with some Rustoleum Rusty metal Primer. Early this morning, I gave it a coat of Rustoleum black. The painting step was not really necessary but it didn't hold up the project since I needed to make a fixture to press in the new bushings anyway.

I bought the bushing set from Last Chance Auto Parts. Installation seems straightforward. It will be interesting to feel the improvement in handling once the job is finished.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I just finished taking it for a test drive. Problem solved - ALL the wandering is gone.

I used 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" short pipe nipples and my vise to press in the new bushings. I applied anti-sieze to the hub bearing/knuckle interface as well as the bushing to knuckle interfaces so if I ever need to do the job again, it will be that much easier.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived