CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Another Little Road Trip

Texas Jim

Just got back yesterday from a little 3000 mile road trip from Fort Worth TX to Charleston South Carolina and back.

Very happy to report that the DtS ran flawlessly with no problems.

Average speed from TX to S. Carolina was 86.6 even with pit stops every couple of hours.

Several stretches were in the triple digit range.

I was kind of in a little bit of a hurry. :D

Average speed on the way back was only 70.4.

We drove most of the way back in tandem with my brother-in-law and his wife.

He has a 2008 Hyundai Sonata. It is a fairly nice car...but it ain't no Cadillac. :D

We just took our time and just piddled around on the way back.

We gassed up in Charleston before we started back, and then we would gas up at the same time when we got down to about 1/4 tank as we stopped for whatever reason.

I thought it was kinda funny that when we gassed up...the DTS "NEVER" took more than 1.2 gallons more than his much smaller, V6 Hyundai.

On one tank thru the Appalachian Mountains and thru the Smoky Mountains, the Cadillac only used .6 gallons more than the Hyundai.

For that tiny saving in gas...I will keep my big ol' comfortable Cadillac. :D:D

Friday, on the way back, coming thru Tennessee, we were in some TERRIBLE thunderstorms..

Thunder, lightning, small hail, high winds. You couldn't see but just a couple of car lengths past the hood, but there was no safe place to pull off the road and stop for a while.

A little bit later, when the storm had let up a little, I found a local radio station and found out that at about the same time we were in the worst of the storm...a tornado hit about 20 miles south of where we were. The tornado was at Murfreeboro TN. Thats too close for comfort.

Well...there was one issue with the car that was kinda puzzling.

Two different times, when driving in VERY HEAVY rain, I got a message to service the tire pressure monitoring system. Upon checking the pressures, the left front tire pressure was not displaying any pressure on the Information Center. The other three were displaying correctly.

A little while later, after we got out of the rain...I checked them again, and all pressures were indicating normal.

Probably no point in taking it to the dealer now...it is not displaying any codes now.

Saturday morning, brother-in-law and us, split up.

They were wanting to go straight home, and Darling Wife and I wanted to stay out an extra day.

I should have went straight home. :D:D

Got busted by a local cop down in Mississippi for speeding.

I was only going about 62 in a 55. He said I was doing 70 in a 55. He did not stop the pickup that was right in front of me.

In the short conversation I had with the cop...he basically said that he looked for out of state cars because they would just pay the fine and not contest the ticket in court.

Another statement he made was that he basically stopped me because I had a Radar Detector.

Then he flat out STATED...that "ANY CAR" he sees that has a Radar Detector...he will give a ticket to because he believes that if you have a radar detector...you have been speeding at one time or another and got away with it because of the radar detector.

Oh well...on the side of the road in Boondocks MS was not the time or place to argue with him. :D

Thats a quick summary of the trip.

Any questions ...ask away.

Posted Image

Man! I miss to have time for good ol' driving.

And talking about comparison, We took a trip from Chihuahua Mexico to Fort Worth, I was triving my old 1996 Olds Aurora (In need of tranny rebuild right now by the way) with my wife and kids, and my sister, husband, kid were on their new 2008 L4 Altima. We topped off at the same time, then next time we did, I had only spent half a gallon more then they did. Also, when we stopped for a quick breather, my sister complained about some gusty winds and how their car was shaking because of 'em... NOT WITH MINE I said! Goodie for the 4.0 Northstar-Like Aurora!!!

I wonder how much of a gas saver is the 4.0 in the olds VS the 4.6 in the caddys.. I know it is a lot comparing it with my old 4.9 in my Deville =D

Average speed from TX to S. Carolina was 86.6 even with pit stops every couple of hours.

Several stretches were in the triple digit range

:o:o:o:lol: Glad the "LITTLE" trip went well!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

As to the tire pressure monitor issue in very heavy rain. Heavy rain caused some issues with my DTS late last year. Two things were found by the dealership that could be related to your problem. In my case, the drivers side mirror went crazy on unlock with the remote keyfob, pointing far up and far left.......traced to the mirror control switch in the door. Don't ask me how they figured it out, but they fixed it by replacing the switch. I always figured that dealers (at least good ones) have access to past issues and the fixes.

This was on the same trip that they discovered the pins in the angle connector for the EBCTM had backed out. This is the blue connector high up on the firewall on the driver's side in our cars. They said it was getting wet and would display the "Service Stability System" message on the DIC, as well as flash the parking sensor lights on the dash!

Don't discount the door switches too quickly, I had a freind with a Jeep Grand Cherokee that went absolutely crazy with dash lights going off, gauges going dead, doors locking and unlocking by themselves, etc. After a big fight to resolve a $900.00 service charge on a car that wasn't fixed, a local garage changed the door switches and it was fixed!

By the way, I've said this before a few years ago. I've never felt that radar detectors were of any use to me on the highway. They don't give early enough warning, and too many false signals. If anything, they made me drive slower and more tense, I couldn't enjoy the trip. Your experience just confirms another drawback that I always suspected was lurking out there. Dump it and enjoy the ride even more!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I'm surprised you didn't get busted on the way out.

I'm surprised you didn't get busted on the way out.

Didn't have any problem on the way out.

Always had plenty of warning, in time to slow down when needed.

Most of the time I try to run behind someone else that is also going fast. :D

On the way back...we had got off the interstate at Jackson TN and were just easing around, looking at the scenery. Was just winding around the back roads of upper Mississippi.

Wasn't in a hurry or anything...just taking our time driving around..enjoying "NOT" being in a hurry.

THATS when I get the ticket.

Oh well...stuff happens. :D:D:D

Posted Image

As to the tire pressure monitor issue in very heavy rain. Heavy rain caused some issues with my DTS late last year. Two things were found by the dealership that could be related to your problem. In my case, the drivers side mirror went crazy on unlock with the remote keyfob, pointing far up and far left.......traced to the mirror control switch in the door. Don't ask me how they figured it out, but they fixed it by replacing the switch. I always figured that dealers (at least good ones) have access to past issues and the fixes.

This was on the same trip that they discovered the pins in the angle connector for the EBCTM had backed out. This is the blue connector high up on the firewall on the driver's side in our cars. They said it was getting wet and would display the "Service Stability System" message on the DIC, as well as flash the parking sensor lights on the dash!

Don't discount the door switches too quickly, I had a freind with a Jeep Grand Cherokee that went absolutely crazy with dash lights going off, gauges going dead, doors locking and unlocking by themselves, etc. After a big fight to resolve a $900.00 service charge on a car that wasn't fixed, a local garage changed the door switches and it was fixed!

By the way, I've said this before a few years ago. I've never felt that radar detectors were of any use to me on the highway. They don't give early enough warning, and too many false signals. If anything, they made me drive slower and more tense, I couldn't enjoy the trip. Your experience just confirms another drawback that I always suspected was lurking out there. Dump it and enjoy the ride even more!

JohnnyG,

Thanks for the info about the EBCTM. I will check that. I may have bumped it when I replaced the Transmission Control Module. It is also on the drivers side of the firewall.

The car has only did it twice. Both times in VERY VERY HEAVY rain.

The 1st time, it said to check LF tire pressure. When I checked it by pushing the buttons, it showed a DASH for the Left Front. The other 3 tires were displaying correctly.

A few minutes later...out of the rain...all 4 tires were displaying correctly.

The 2nd time it said SERVICE TIRE MONITOR SYSTEM.

Same thing...Left Front had a DASH..the other three were OK.

Again...after being out of the rain for a few minutes...all four were OK.

I will also keep the door modules in mind. I know that the door modules do a BUNCH of things. :D

I have had good luck with my radar detectors. They have saved me a lot of money.

I use a Beltronics RX65. If it ever goes out...I will probably get another one similar to it or maybe a Valentine 1. They are supposed to be good also.

Thanks again for the information about the EBCTM and the door modules.

Posted Image

You always need some cars in front of you in order for a radar detector to save you if you're speeding. If you are leading the pack and speeding, you're a sitting duck. It's been that way since the late 1980s when the instant on radar guns began to be used.

The newer detectors have superior anti-falsing circuitry. If you are using a detector that is more than 7 or 8 years old, it won't be much help. I use a Passport 8500-x50 and that thing is incredible - it will pick up the radar monkies up to two miles away! I have witnessed this several times as it has gone off and I noted the odometer reading. I kept looking for the cop and started to think it was a false alert when the cop was headed toward me in the opposite direction. It was a mile between the time the detector first went off until the cop passed me - figuring that we were traveling approximately the same speed, we were probably two miles apart when I received the first alert.

Laser can be tricky but it is not nearly as convienent for the cops. They cannot be moving when using laser - they must be parked. They must have the window down as the glass will refract the laser beam. Also, it cannot be rainy or foggy as those conditions will scatter the beam and not allow the gun to lock onto a target.

To each his own, but personally, I like to know when I am being "watched".

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

To each his own, but personally, I like to know when I am being "watched".

That makes two of us. :D

Even if I am not doing anything wrong, (at the moment)...I still want to know where they are. :D

Posted Image

Archived