CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How to drain coolant with the drain plug on Northstar??

manowar77

Hi everyone,

This weekend i changed the coolant on my Northstar, the last time was 2 years ago when i changed coolant when i replaced the alternator, that time i had the radiator out of the car to gain access to the alternator and the draining was done by removing the lower hose on the radiator!

But this time i checked Haynes repair manual to see what they recommended when draining the system, and it said that u could open the drain plug at the bottom off the radiator or ,as i did last time, remove the lower hose and drain it from there!

First of all i had noticed the drain plug last time when i had the radiator out and crawled under the car and started looking, there was a small outlet at the bottom on the radiator but no access to any drain plug <_<

So instead, i removed air filter housing box and could from there gain access to loosen the clamp on the lower hose instead, not much room but it worked!

Drained the system, also remowed the thermostat housing because it was some coolant left there, put 2 pellets(crushed) into the lower hose and screwed it back in place!

Finally i refilled the system and warmed up the engine and checked the level after cooling down!

I cant imaging how the get your fingers in that small hole that were in the shield under the drain plug, so i cut up a big enough hole (see pic) with my drill so u can get in almost your hand there to open the drain plug next time i change coolant!

Roger Martinsen

Sweden

post-4452-1239633441_thumb.jpg

Roger Martinsen

Some of us have made a tool by cutting a slot in a short piece of broomhandle. It desn't need to be very long, about 10 inches will work fine.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I also made a tool for the plug to use next time, i took a 11mm "Hylsa" (dont know the word in english:) and made a hole in it so it fits on the the plug and u can loosen it with a bar!

Hope it works next time!!

Roger

Roger Martinsen

Not sure what a Hylsa is but I took a socket and cut a grove in it so I can use a ratchet and extension. It works great. I also recommend that you remove and clean the plug and then place some pure silicone valve grase (not RTV) on the plug. It will go in very smooth and next removal will also be very smooth. The newer ones are designed to get from the bottom. Somebody finally smartened up back at GM, kinda like the fule tank access panel. Also, if you pull the stat and stick a shop vac in the hole you will also grab some more coolant. Good luck!

Archived