CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fabric adhesive

My '87 Coupe has the fake canvas/fake convertible roof. Some of the fold-over seams have come loose. The previous owner attempted similar repair using (I think) hot glue. Over time that stuff has discolored and looks bad. I'd like to redo the roof, but it's too pricey for my situation. Any recommendations for an adhesive to close the flap-seams that won't discolor due to time or the elements? Thanks

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

3M Top and trim adhesives link

I think you need this one:

Aerosol contact adhesive designed for bonding vinyl tops, heavyweight liners and hood silencer pads where high strength and heat resistance are needed.

3mtoptrim.jpg

Wal-mart carries some 3M products.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks for the idea. Hmm....I've got a qt of Contact cement that needs a job. Never thought of it. The fold-overs are about 1/4" so spraying might be messy.

Thanks for the idea. Hmm....I've got a qt of Contact cement that needs a job. Never thought of it. The fold-overs are about 1/4" so spraying might be messy.

For applying contact cement in small areas...I have went to the hobby shop and bought small water color brushes.

They are cheap, they work pretty good and you can just throw them away when you are thru with them.

You may also want to get some of the proper type of thinner for the contact cement, to make it easier to just PAINT it on. :D

Posted Image

ok. I tried the cheap brush method, but it didn't work too well. Made a 'spatula' from a piece of acrylic which does a better job. Haven't done all the seams, but the 'test' areas are good. I have 2 problem areas shown in the pics. Old hot-glue smears along the passenger door and a tear. The tear was the result of the previous owner backing out of her garage and encountering the garage door....old type with no sensors. I'm wondering if a fix for that tear is possible?

As to the smears: tried Acetone....no joy! If that won't work, I'm at a loss to what will?

Would vinyl paint be a good solution to getting the existing roof in some kind of decent condition? I have no experience with vinyl paint. If I could find a pro who would redo the entire roof for <$500-$750 I'd do it. Years ago I priced it and the least expensive was $1500. Couldn't afford it then, certainly can't now.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

post-3770-1239807329_thumb.jpg

post-3770-1239807357_thumb.jpg

Archived