CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tax Software

I thought I would try Tax Act this year but after putting in all my info I owed over $900. I couldn't believe it because my income changed little, so I went to Turbo Tax's website and tried their free online trial which allows inputting of financial info and getting a rough idea of the situation. Afterward I found that I was owed. So I either neglected to input some info in the Tax Act software or Turbo Tax is just a superior software. I am meticulously thorough and honest when I file my taxes so I don't know what the deal was with Tax Act.

I use TurboTax as well. I grouse about the cost every year, but I like that it is familiar and easy to import last year's info and data for comparison each year.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I had been using H&R Block's Tax Cut for the last few years since it was virtually identical to Turbotax but was cheaper. I got tired of the price going up and up for both Turbo Tax and Tax Cut so this year, I just printed off the forms from the "Infernal Revenue Service" website and did it the old way...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have used TaxAct for more than 10 years and am obviously satisfied with it. I had a copy of one of the other porgrams one year and both gave the same results. Initial reason for tax act was price which was and still is cheapest. TaxAct also has a basic free version available.

My opinion is that MAC's different results with the two programs was a result of input differences - so easy to do.

I had been using H&R Block's Tax Cut for the last few years since it was virtually identical to Turbotax but was cheaper. I got tired of the price going up and up for both Turbo Tax and Tax Cut so this year, I just printed off the forms from the "Infernal Revenue Service" website and did it the old way...

My view is that as long as info is input honestly and accurately, then I'm not liable for problems relating inaccurate results. Since I generally get a refund I don't mind paying $50 for the software, particularly since I can e-file both federal and state, which provides proof of filing.

I have used TaxAct for more than 10 years and am obviously satisfied with it. I had a copy of one of the other porgrams one year and both gave the same results. Initial reason for tax act was price which was and still is cheapest. TaxAct also has a basic free version available.

My opinion is that MAC's different results with the two programs was a result of input differences - so easy to do.

I'm sure you're right! I just freaked out a bit :o and went like a bat out of h_ll and bought Turbo Tax, which I used for 2007. :lol::rolleyes: Once I file my taxes I think I'll go through what I input in Tax Act and see what happens.

Edmund's also has an article [here] on automotive-related US tax rules for this year.

H.R.1, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, allows state and local motor vehicle sales taxes and motor vehicle excise taxes to be taken as an above the line deduction. Qualifying for this is any new car, light truck, recreational vehicle, or motorcycles purchased between February 17th and December 31, 2009. Folks with a modified adjusted gross income of less than $125,000 or joint-filers making less than $250,000 a year in 2009 qualify.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I use H&R Block "Tax Cut," just because I'm used to it.

Some years ago Turbo Tax skupped me on the state return and I never looked back. No big deal.

Betcha can't guess what I'm doing now. :blink:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived