CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Securing car wheels

JIMDTS

The past couple days I have been checking into wheel locks which all they will do is slow a crook down but if they want them bad enough the wheel are history.

Heck at some wheel shops they showed me liquid nitrogen setups that the thiefs just squirt the wheel studs(bolts) then bang it them a hammer shatter the stud and bingo no wheels and even more damage then without the wheel locks So it sure makes you think of inventive ways to secure your stuff.. This simple stuff sure can make you angry Next time it won't be so easy and maybe I'll get real lucky and catch them in the act..Which is what I hope for..if there is round 2 of this BS..

Cheers

Jim

<_<

I have to admit to a perverse admiration for their resourcefullness. Just think how successful they would be in life, if the thieves they had any morals at all.

Well, maybe a set of stainless steel lug bolts would be more resistant to cryrogenics. Be OK as long as non-stainless bolts were used.

On smaller gear, I recall an innovative, yet simple - security method that involved "sodering shut" slotted or phillips screw heads (probably work with Torx and allen heads also). Acid-core soder was fluxed and added carefully to fill the fastener opening and then filed smooth (looked kinda cool actually). If the screw or bolt was needed to be removed on, then the soder gun was used to re-melt it and a "soder-sucker" bulb used to withdraw the soder. Sure it can be defeated, but it adds time, confusion and oppertunity for active defensive systems to engage (see above).

I suppose a portable 60,000-volt livestock-capable, 5-mile range fence charger powered by the car's battery, insulated by the tires and only discharging via flesh to ground - would cause problems with some bleeding heart champion of thieves. It's bacon! Also takes care of neighborhood dogs and their penchant for peeing (but I feel kinda sorry for the dogs actually):D

Defense is not against the law in our part of the country and the perp might never be found anyway. We all know what a Caddy's trunk likes to hold best, coupled with a loonngg walk back into town and lotsa canyons just begging for fertilizer.

OK now you dear, upset passivists, I'm just kidding around of course. ;)

But, on the safe side, I wouldn't ever touch a red '94 DCS with Nevada plates that smells of ozone and crackle, snap, pops :blink:

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Hey Jim,

Smith & Wesson has a tire securing system that works quite well. It will fit any make or model and can be used to secure any number of wheels within a 100 yard radius. The part number of the one I purchased is .357 with the 4 inch extension. I think the 6 inch extension works up to 150 yards. Both come in stainless or blue steel. I went with the stainless to match the wheels. The only draw back I find is it can be quits noisey when deployed.

Rick ;)

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

What I think about sometimes...is when a crook comes up to your car, for an "easy kill", and finds out you've basically got your wheels locked to your car, how prone is he to get pissed off and take his crowbar to every body panel on the car? In that situation, I'd much rather to have him just steal the wheels, and leave the car alone.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

...and finds out you've basically got your wheels locked to your car, how prone is he to get pissed off and take his crowbar to every body panel on the car?

jadcock, that would be perfect!!

The noise made banging the body panels would wake up JIMDTS.

If something like that happened at Rickster's, it would also set off his Smith & Wesson tire securing system ;)

-Chris

Back when stealing T-Tops was so lucrative, I had a set of regular painted tops which they tried to steal, when realizing they were not glass they broke out all the windows on the the car. A '81 vette. And they still took the hard tops. F&^%EN thieves :angry: . My insurance co. loved me!!!!!! :blink:

Just put up some motion sensor lights on the garage, they thief wont like working in the light, thats for sure.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Personally I am using the doubel coverage plan here.

Have the spot lights on a motion senser and also the good old APC .45 is always handy.

Working on an alarm that would come on with the spotlights. :unsure:

All kidding aside, don't car alarms have a jacking sensor? When I lived in Queens and had my 1974 Eldo Conv, I had a jacking/towing sensor and an ultrasonic sensor inside that detected penetration of the interior through the top. The system I had involved two separate alarms. Also had a key lock kill switch that was hidden. AND a case hardened key switch with a special cover that minimized the lock from being pulled out then starting it with a screw driver. The car was worth SO much as parts that it was necessary to do this. What we do to protect our baby! Mike

What I think about sometimes...is when a crook comes up to your car, for an "easy kill", and finds out you've basically got your wheels locked to your car, how prone is he to get pissed off and take his crowbar to every body panel on the car? In that situation, I'd much rather to have him just steal the wheels, and leave the car alone.

Head shot. Easier to get in the trunk when not doing the funking chicking.

LOL :D

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Archived