CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

P0741 code in third gear? What gives?

Hey Guys and Girls,

I believe I have a unique problem here. I recently purchased a 1999 Seville SLS for 2000.00 and I think it is nice.

I fixed the brake sensor, I fixed the overheating problem (blocked tube nipple), now I have one last problem.

I have read where people were getting the P0741 code and so they would just drive in third gear and the code would not come back as long as they did not use overdrive.

Well, I shot that one out of the sky. I have now gotten the code P0741 while driving in third gear 3 different times.

What gives? Any ideas to what else it could be?

I do not get any other codes. P0741 current and if I leave it, it will have a current and a history.

Paul

Well, here is an update. If I turn off the traction control, I do not get the code near as often in overdrive or in 3rd gear. Do not get me wrong, I still get the code, just not as often.

I can not believe that 54 people have viewed this topic but no one has responded.

I need help! :o

Thanks. Paul

Hey Guys and Girls,

I believe I have a unique problem here. I recently purchased a 1999 Seville SLS for 2000.00 and I think it is nice.

I fixed the brake sensor, I fixed the overheating problem (blocked tube nipple), now I have one last problem.

I have read where people were getting the P0741 code and so they would just drive in third gear and the code would not come back as long as they did not use overdrive.

Well, I shot that one out of the sky. I have now gotten the code P0741 while driving in third gear 3 different times.

What gives? Any ideas to what else it could be?

I do not get any other codes. P0741 current and if I leave it, it will have a current and a history.

Paul

The PO 741 code is usually due to a failed TCC solenoid but it can be caused by the trans going into overheat mode. Make sure all the trans cooler lines are not kinked and the fluid is at the proper level.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 3 weeks later...

P0741 TCC System Stuck Off

P0742 TCC System Stuck On

The TCC will come on if you are going over 41 mph and cruising on level ground at constant speed in any gear. You still have all four gears. I would *not* drive in 3rd. You can ignore the TCC code, which is usually a solenoid that is expensive to get to. If you drive on the freeway a lot and you really want that last 1 mpg, then get it fixed. Your state's emissions testing may require that the P0741 code not be set, which will force you to fix it eventually.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Only an emission code will illuminate the SES light. P0741 will illuminate it and thus is an automatic failure.

I could have sworn that driving it in 3rd gear would not set the DTC.

Only an emission code will illuminate the SES light. P0741 will illuminate it and thus is an automatic failure.

I could have sworn that driving it in 3rd gear would not set the DTC.

If only an emission code will illuminate the SES light...why does the P0741 turn it on?

P0741 is not emission related.

It is TCC related, which has nothing to do with emissions.

Posted Image

When I place my car in diagnostic mode, (Deville), watch the HVAC display. when you step on the brake, one item will display informing me the brake switch for overdrive is engaged/disengaged. other icons inform what solenoid is engaging etc.. This is all info from the service manual. someone posted it a while ago (what each icon meant), but I cannot find it. Hopefully it can help you understand what is happening.

The TCC clutch, when engaged, will reduce emissions by about the same amount that it increases gas mileage, that is to say 5%. In point of fact, the emissions of any late model GM product are far below allowable levels in any state and will remain there for the life of the car, so long as the DFI works in closed loop and there are no misfires, and most cars don't have the TCC feature at all. I agree that TCC failure should not turn on the MIL light or cause the car to fail emissions screening, which is why I said that in some states it might, but I didn't say that it would do so. The reason that I raised that specter at all is because emissions rules are written by people that I don't know, and don't supervise or review, but I do know that a car with properly functioning TCC clutch will have slightly better emissions performance in constant-speed level-ground driving at 45 mph and above, and some clown might think that better is better and if it's in the car it must be kept working for the car to pass emissions.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Well, that sucks. My SES initially comes on as a result of the P1860 code, then sets the P0741 code. Hopefully the 3rd gear trick will work. My emissions test is due this month.

Charles

Won't the sensors shows as "not ready" if you clear the codes right before going in?

Yes, NEVER do that. You will be sure to fail.

If you have a P1860, it's more likely the wiring than the solenoid. Check it out, clear the codes, drive it a couple of days and see if it's OK.

I have been meaning to check the wiring ever since I bought the car, but never seem to make the time to remove everything needed to get at the connector. Now that I have a good reason, maybe I'll get around to it.

Charles

Won't the sensors shows as "not ready" if you clear the codes right before going in?

Yes, NEVER do that. You will be sure to fail.

Our testing is straight tailpipe gases, don't matter if the CEL is on, or sensors not working.. lucky that way I guess, and I didnt mean 10 mins before.. like a day or two and drive it easy.

Archived