CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/C DILEMMA

DJRATEDR

1998 DEVILLE:

Took my car to Firestone last summer to have the A/C evacuated and charged. They ran the dye through and reported no leaks. Drove away and 15 mins. later "low refrigerant/compressor off" message showed up. I realized that they probably charged the system without resetting the computer (clearing the code) and they didn't know how to do it so I sat in the car and reset it before they did it.

They vaccuumed the system, ran the dye through and charged the system ... NO LEAKS, this time I had cold air for maybe a day then the message appeared again. Up until last week the message would continue to appear if I had the temp lower than 75 degrees on any other setting other than DEFOG. After reading a post on here I read about jumping the low pressure switch. Since I jumped the l.p.s. the message no longer appears on any setting at any temp, but I'm not getting any cold air and my compressor is not turning on. I checked the fuses and they're good, relay is fine as well.

Any ideas or other diagnostics I should try?

Thanks for reading ...

You have a massive leak if the system has a full charge one day and then the low refrigerant charge message appears the next day...

Was the condensate drain area checked for dye residue? If dye was found ar the condensate drain, that would indicate a leaking evaporator. Visually inspect your entire system - pay close attention to the condenser, connections and the compressor itself. Find a shop that has an electronic leak detector and have them check the system. If the leak is as big as you describe, it shouldn't be hard to find.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I agree....evaporator. Electronic leak detector is the best leak-finding tool. Firestone sells tires, so that is their only area of expertise. Find a shop that only does car AC work. Automotive AC isn't a mystery system and easy enough to learn.

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

my car does the excact same thing i charged it one day and it was fine and the next morning it said refrigerant low a/c compressor off so i just gave up after like the 2nd or third time

You should be able to hear a leak that big... Use a 3/8" diameter hose and hold one end to your ear and trace the entire path of the A/C system with the other end. If it is leaking as bad as you describe, the source of the leak should be obvious.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

JUMPING THE LOW PRESSURE SWITCH WAS AND IS DANGEROUS, you can ruin your compressor

See the first post, this fellow jumped the Low Pressure Switch, remove that jumper IMMEDIATELY

Have you checked for codes?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived