CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1997 STS ABS Pump Motor swap

I recently picked up a 1997 and a 1994 STS. The 94 is scrap, bought it cheap for parts because it has a good drive train. Turns out my 97 is in a lot better shape than we thought drive-train wise, but im still looking at what is interchangeable. My traction control and ABS lights are on and the car starts in 2nd gear. I've read about that and have been able to clear the codes (abs pump motor stall) and get the car to go into first for a few seconds, just to confirm the tranny is ok. I added a ground wire to the pump motor, i didnt have much time to mess with it so i just added the wire to see if i saw any difference. The pump motor code was the only code that came up on the weekend after about 1000k of driving. After i added the extra ground wire, im now getting wheel speed sensor codes, and they seem random. And im still getting the pump motor code, although it is also random. I went about 60k with no pump motor code.

Question:

Will the ABS pump motor from the 94 STS work? I cant find any in scrap yards around here. Couple other things the car needs that i'd like to know if they are compatable: Shocks, front lower control arms (bushings are gone on the 97) and the motor/trans. The trans in the 94 was rebuilt recently so it may be worth using if mine is bad.

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Again, to research questions like this I would go to the rockauto.com parts catalog and look at the part numbers for each.

For example, the ABS Modulator for a 1997 is listed as

ACDELCO Part # 25731523 VALVE,BRK PRESS MOD w/o HVY DUTY PWR BRK(J55)
and the cross-reference for usage is noted as 1997 only for the STS. The 1994 uses
ACDELCO Part # 3545142 More Info {#03545142} VALVE,BRK PRESS MOD
which is cross-referenced to 93/94 for the STS.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Again, to research questions like this I would go to the rockauto.com parts catalog and look at the part numbers for each.

and the cross-reference for usage is noted as 1997 only for the STS. The 1994 uses

nice thanks for the link, havent seen it before and that will help me a lot. The guy who sold me the parts car says he has a pump/motor from a 1997 so mayb i lucked out;)

nice thanks for the link, havent seen it before and that will help me a lot. The guy who sold me the parts car says he has a pump/motor from a 1997 so mayb i lucked out;)

Before i go out and buy parts i decided i should do some more testing.

When i clear TCS codes, my ABS and Tracion lights shut off for a few seconds. It snowed last night so this was easy to check.... my ABS is working fine. That is, until the lights come back on again a few seconds. Seems like the pump works fine because the ABS work, but the traction control does NOT work at all. Something is making it all stop working though. If i dont take my foot off the brake pedal, it stays soft and the ABS and Traction lights stay off. Soon as i let off the brake the lights come on and no more ABS, and the car shifts into 2nd gear.

The only code is 1243. I think the numbers are right, going from memory, but i know its the code that says ABS Pump motor stalled.

Any ideas?

Archived