CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Great Ebay Background story - Lasalle Edition

Love the background story on this 1940 Lasalle on ebay

!BPMft5!Bmk~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLlzw8!BJyZJyD

Only driven by a little old Lady to go help out at the Red Cross.

!BPMg!6wCGk~$(KGrHgoH-E!EjlLl0T%20JBJyZL

f6c5_12.JPG

The 1940 Lasalle was the last year for this companion car to Cadillac. Two models were offered, the Series 40-50 and Series 40-52 in 12 different combinations.

All used a 322 cubic inch engine making 135 gross hp, and weighing 3700-4100 lbs.

This one the cowl tag lists as a 40-5027 which was a 2 passenger coupe. Base price for this one was $1,240 in 1940. Cadillac sold around 10,382 of the 40-50s and 13,751 of the 40-52s.

Source: Standard Catalog of Cadillac

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I see two possibilities for this car:

• Restoration -- which can be far more than meets the eye when you are dealing with a car that was a daily driver for many years.
  • Fun and Show car -- see this video for a possible motor. I'll leave brake and chassis enhancements to you. But, this car would look really cool with a large wing and wheelie bars.
Yes, that's a World Castings block, hybrid SBC/LS, that takes SBC bottom end parts and LS top-end parts. I dunno about the rods, but the pistons are LS. The cast iron SBC should weigh about the same as the OEM 322 cid V8. As I said, I'll leave the chassis enhancements to you, but I do recommend a custom-rebuilt THM400, drive shaft, differential, rear axle, and brakes, with new steering, front suspension and brakes.

If you really don't want 630 hp in a 1940 LaSalle coupe, and this very rare car is restorable, then let it be known that the 322 cid V8 is very well known for reliability. The Sherman Tank used two of them. But, the paint certainly does not look original, and what lies beneath is unknown. Likewise the upholstery looks like it was redone about 1960. What I can say from my computer terminal is that the chrome trim looks complete and in excellent condition, which tells me that the car was well-garaged throughout its life. Thus no one that reads this is likely to see a better candidate for full restoration of a 1940 LaSalle coupe. Jay Leno, are you listening?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Fun video.

I would keep it stock, but if I were going to update to a modern engine I would use a CTS-V engine & tranny so it is an all-Cadillac solution.

Bruce

BTW, this fzoldcars.com has a complete photo documentary of the restoration of a 1939 LaSalle

Cars shown; 1939 Cadillac LaSalle (older restoration came from a museum in Oklahoma) has original flathead V8 327 Cu. Inch engine. This car can be driven at highway speeds and back in 1939 was one of the fastest production cars made. It runs and rides as good as it looks.

264_Winter_home.JPG

Bruce

In my student days, I had a friend that drove a 1948 Cadillac hearse. Performance was about the same as V8-powered cars ten years newer, even with the extra 1500 pounds or so of weight. Reliability was excellent.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived