CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How reliable are the recent caddies?? Specially SRX

Caddyjag

Hello, I currently own a 98 Eldorado that has been running like a true work horse. That thing is so reliable that the only things I had to do are battery, waterpump, headlight relay and brake pad replacement. This is in the last 4 years. This cold winter temps in Chicago reached -40F and the car started as if it was summer. Now my question is, how reliable are the newer generation Cadillacs? I ask because I've been really hyped about getting a 06-07 used fully loaded V6 AWD SRX within a year, but it seems like a lot of people are having a lot of problems with it and also the CTS. Do any of you current owners have any problems with the newer Caddies, specially the SRX? Here is a link to what I'm talking about. http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1260c4/10

Caddyjag

I would not hesitate to buy an SRX if I needed that size vehicle. By survey Cadillac initial quality and 4 year reliability currently is world class.

It is easy for one voice in a site like Edmund's to get amplified by the silence of the majority of Cadillac owners who don't post there.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I went from a 92 eldorado to the 2005 V6 SRX in early 2006. Had it for over 3 years now, just over 45k, and we love the vehicle. We had some small issues here and there, but they were all taken care of under warranty. The vehicle is a real head turner, we get compliments and questions about it all the time.

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I had the pleasure of driving two 2008 SRX's while my car was in the shop recently. They are the ultimate "grocery getter" if there ever was one! The V6 is very powerful and 100+ mph is not a problem at all. The AWD version disappointed me on mileage though, even on the highway, averaging about 19 on the flats of Ohio...........and that can be pretty flat.

Transmission shifter was cool, had that +/- thing to shift it like a manual. 5 or six speeds, can't remember.

One car had DVD players in both front seat headrests, if you have kids, these would be the best option for long trips.

Both of them had NAV, which worked very well, and if you recall there was a "NAV Included" special out at the begining of 2008, so not a major add. For getting from point "A" to point "B" around town, they both were excellent cars with LOTS of space and LOTS of class. The remote open tailgate was cool at the local Giant Eagle! The best version of this car would be the ULTRA LUXURY, with the third row seating.

Now for the negatives.

Good quiet ride up to about 50 MPH, after that, forget it. This is NOT a 98 Eldo on the road!

Harsh ride at speed, not even worthy of the Cadillac name.

No secondary sunvisor. Maybe not a big deal to some, but when I put out $50,000+ for a car, it should be included. By the way, no swing away (side) sunvisor either.

Several plastic parts had come off and were laying in various places around the car, mostly in the ashtrays. These cars were the subject of juvenile torture, and were loaners, so they had the worst treatment possible. This was evidencenced by the frys and gummy bears under the seats.

One car had a bad heated steering wheel.....maybe a fuse, maybe more serious, I don't know.

Both cars had heated front seats which got WAY too hot, even on low.

4 wheel drive worked well, but was a little unpredictable on slick roads. This had my rear end hanging out on snow covered roads. This might be a good thing if you can consider it MAINLY a RWD car, with 4WD capabilities. It wouldn't get stuck.

RATTLES EVERYWHERE!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the replies. I'm pretty convinced I will go ahead and make the purchase of a 2007 SRX V6 fully loaded AWD. I'm not in a hurry, so right now I'm just looking around until I see a deal I can't resist. Hopefully with the arrival of the re-designed 2010 Model, the old generation prices will drop a bit.

Caddyjag

I'd for SURE get a car with the certified warranty - if GM still offers it after the shake-out. It should add a grand or so to the cost, and it looks like you keep cars a long time. After 60k miles, repairs start to come up on these cars - and I bet you'll be glad you got it. I too had a 98 Eldo, and the certified was a wonderful thing.

I would like to second the certified vehicle. I used to work for a dealership selling fords in the sales dept. Prior to working there I never realized the full benefits of the certification. Most people think that they are just buying a warranty with a certified vehicle, but the biggest thing you get is before the dealership puts the vehicle on the lot they have to put it through a detailed inspection process which means that if 100 + point inspection does not meet strict tolerances the dealership must replace or repair the failing items ie....brakes, tires, even windshield wipers. Heck you even get a full tank of gas with a certified vehicle. This portion of the certified vehicle is usually worth about $400 to $500. This leaves your warranty costing you about 500 that is if you forgot that this is America and you can even ask your dealership to lower the overall cost of the vehicle in order for you to "sign the paper work today". Good luck with your search. Why wait till next year when vehicle prices start to go back up now is one of the best times to buy a car that I can remember in a long time.

Archived