CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

code 2511

rogerdice

I've been having an intermittant problem. My 1996 seville stays running for only a few seconds. start and stall, over and over again. Later, all is fine until the next time. I pulled this code which I thought may be helpful [2511][steering wheel controls conv key stuck]. However I have no clue as to it's meaning. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

There should be a prefix to that code.

On dash prefix and code IP2511. When I searched for meaning of code I found, B2511 steering wheel controls conv key stuck.

Today I took it to a dealership garage. They claim the code IP2511 is not in their books. They found no codes related to the stalling. There was no charge for todays visit, I was very happy about that. However this problem has been going on for over three years.

IP = Instrument Panel and would be a "B" (Body) code.

B2511 = steering wheel controls conv key stuck. I hope to find the meaning of this. Can anyone help? thank you

b2511.gif

Circuit Description

Eight steering wheel control switches are used to control four audio and four HVAC functions. When the vehicle is equipped with the cellular telephone option, four telephone switches take the place of the HVAC steering wheel controls. The steering wheel controls are configured as a resistive ladder network connected to the dash integration module (DIM) across connector C1 terminal B3 and connector C2 terminal A1. When the vehicle is in ON, ACCY or RAP, battery voltage is provided from the DIM on CKT 1796 (DK BLU) to the steering wheel controls. Pressing a switch (or switches) causes a voltage to appear on return CKT 1375 (PPL) which has a value unique to the switch(es) pressed.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

* DTC B2511 only sets if B1982 or B1983 is not current in DIM memory.

* DTC B2511 sets if the DIM determines that one of the audio steering wheel controls switches is stuck.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

* DTC B2511 is stored in the DIM memory.

* The module disables the steering wheel control functions as long as this DTC is current.

* This DTC does not cause a driver warning message to appear.

* Conditions for Clearing the DTC A current DTC clears (status changes from current to history) if the conditions which caused the DTC to set are no longer present.

* A history DTC clears after 50 consecutive ignition cycles if the condition for the malfunction is no longer present.

Diagnostic Aids

Refer to Steering Wheel Controls in Entertainment for additional information about this system.

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table:

1. Perform the Body Control Module Diagnostic System Check before continuing with the diagnosis of this DTC.

2. Clear all DTCs and cycle ignition to check that the DTC did not erroneously set.

8. Clear all DTCs after the repair procedure is complete.

[table]

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

My OBD II database doesn't show a 2511 code other than B2511, which could be thrown if you hit two steering wheel switches at once. The codes on my ETC are of the form

IPC U1255 HISTORY

or

PCM P1221 CURRENT

The first three letters are the module that reports the code. The code itself is a letter and four digits; the letter is one of B[ody], C[hassis], P[owertrain], or U [for network???]. The HISTORY or CURRENT flag notes whether the code was thrown (a malfunction was found or a test failed) since the key was last turned on, so CURRENT codes are more likely to be important than HISTORY codes.

The B2511 code wouldn't cause stalling. Thus the stalling is caused by a problem that doesn't throw a code, or there is something missing about the code. You might get the code again, making sure that you have the prefix three letters, the B/C/P/U letter, and the four digits are correct, and note whether the code is CURRENT or HISTORY. If the code is actually a Powertrain code, Here's some possibilities:

P2500 Generator L-Terminal Circuit Low Voltage

P2501 Generator L-Terminal Circuit High Voltage

P2535 Ignition 1 Switch Circuit High Voltage (PCM)

P2610 ECU Malfunction

However, I would think that the problem is not throwing a code. Two problems that can cause stalling are a bad fuel pump, which can cause stalling anytime and is often intermittent like you describe, or a fuel pressure regulator (FPR) which can cause hard starting or stalling after starting with a hot engine.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I would like to thank everyone who has responded to to my plea for help with my stalling problem. Early this morning my stalling problem was back. As I was preparing to tow it to the Cadillac garage for diagnosis it started and ran normally. I then checked for any codes that may have been set. For the first time in three years of this aggravation I finally got an answer. Code set PC1626 Theft deterrent fuel enabled signal not received.

After driving to the garage with this information in hand they performed an ignition switch replacement.

Cost: two keys= $ 50

ignition= $ 70

labor= $120

tax= $ 14

total= $254

I am optimistic that I have reached the end of this saga. Again, thank you all very much, this is a great forum. B)

Hey, the fist time that happened to me it cost me that much, or more. The second time it cost me abou t$150. The third time, I just took the key in and had it duplicated.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived