CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 SLS service charging system warning and etc!

my beautiful 99 SLS 4.6 is starting to act up all of the sudden and i need some help on some of these issues, 1st i get a service charging system message saying my battery is not charging even though i scroll and see my battery is spitting out 16.2 volts and says ok. 2nd my security light stays on after starting the vehicle and i get another message saying to check my security system, that comes on sometimes not every time. 3rd the electronic tilt adjustment on the steering wheel does not work manually where i can adjust it while in park or idling but it does work when i hit the memory 1 or 2 button! and 4th but not least the engine is suddenly idling at very high rpm's while in park or drive. all this staring over the weekend and i totally confused. i replaced the battery at the cadillac dealership back in november and it's been driving great ever since. please, any input would be greatly accepted. i am thinking along the line of something electrical and i haven't checked the fuses for the telescoptic steering wheel that could be bad. once again thanks for any help!

desperate in san antonio

There are several diagnostic/repair steps I would take in your situation.

1) Double check the dealer battery installation; pay attention to the connections at the battery terminals and the chassis negative connection at the chassis end of the black cable (the bolt threads make the electrical contact).

2) Display and clear all codes/messages and start with clean piece of paper. Here is how to:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

1st i get a service charging system message saying my battery is not charging even though i scroll and see my battery is spitting out 16.2 volts and says ok.

desperate in san antonio

Do as JimD says...start with a clean slate.

If it is really putting out 16.2 volts...that is WAY too high.

That will destroy your new battery pretty quick.

It does need checking to see why it is so high.

It should be closer to 14 volts.

Posted Image

i removed the rear seat and checked all the connections, fuses and re-sat everything. i reset the codes and everything seems to be working fine now. hopefully that will do the trick, i appreciate the feedback from you all and if anything comes up i will be posting to you fine people here.

happy in san antonio

ok after clearing out the codes i got a check charging system message, battery not charging and i did check the voltage at 14.5 saying o.k. do i need to clear out all the codes again?

trying to be content in san antonio

We really need to know what code gave you the CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM message.

Has there been any engine service or repair work done recently? You want to eliminate the possibility of a loose or not fully seated electrical connector at the alternator.

Wide voltage fluctuations are not normal. With engine at idle immediately after a start, you should see 14 Volts, plus or minus 1 Volt. Sometimes it is worth displaying the system voltage with an external voltmeter. I say that because I do not know the sample rate or the damping factor for the DIC system voltage display.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

o.k. i think it might have to have the alternator or something checked out because after clearing out the codes (done this several times and didn't write the codes down) and not starting the engines everything is fine with no codes showing and i able to move the steering wheel electronicly etc,etc, but when i start the engine it goes back to the service charging system, security system and the weird thing is the a/c does not blow cold air after a few minutes and the radio volume and speakers go back and forth. i know about the adjustable volume control but it's not that. it's definitly something electrical after the vechicle is started i will check the alternator and look for any loose connections there.

o.k. i think it might have to have the alternator or something checked out because after clearing out the codes (done this several times and didn't write the codes down)....

The codes are the best clues you can hope to see.

They sure can eliminate a truck load of "or something".

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived