CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

11 ft-lbs torque - spark plugs

gc_caddy

I'm changing my spark plugs at 140K miles. It's been sittiing overnight with PB blaster, which I'll suction off before removing the plugs. Hopefully, everything will go OK and no plugs would be seized.

My question is the torque used during installation of the new plugs. I know that the FSM says 11 ft-lbs, and that's not a lot. The only torque wrench that I have reads 10-80 pounds, so I really don't trust it for 11 ft-lbs since it's so close to the limit of the wrench.

Do you all REALLY use a torque wrench when installing new plugs? Would finger tight, followed by an addition 1/16th turn be OK?

Thanks.

Do you all REALLY use a torque wrench when installing new plugs? Would finger tight, followed by an addition 1/16th turn be OK?

YES. I use an inch-pound wrench and set it for 132 in-lbs.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Ditto, to KHE's comment

Don't overtighten the plugs, you dont want to 1) tear out the threads, 2) create problems the next time you remove them

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks. I just finished replacing them. I decided that I didn't want to buy another torque wrench, so I just chanced it and used 1/16th turn, after finger tight. I don't think I'll keep the STS much longer anyways. It's a 1994 with 146K miles.

Notes:

- Didn't really need to soak overnight with PB Blaster. I only PB blaster'ed the front 4 holes, leaving the rear 4 dry. No difference found, they all came out very easy using a 10" breaker bar. (Could have likely just used a regular rachet)

Also 1/16th turn after finger tight, did feel right. The resistance starts just before 1/16th. Anyways, the car started up immediately and I'll take if for test drive in a bit.

The old plugs were definitely worn. All but one lost the platinum button on the side electrode. The gap was about .075. Proper gap is .05, so they were definitely due for replacement - although I did not experience any missing, I just wanted to change them out before I leave for a long trip.

I have yet to use a torque wrench on a spark plug, and I've changed a lot of them. Torque is not critical on plugs (so long as you don't get torque crazy). Just snug'em down.

I touqued mine on my 98 to factory manual specs and two of the plugs were loose 20,000 miles later when I removed them to check compression. Next time I will tighten by feel as I have never had a plug come loose that way..

Have fun.

You might not have had to buy another torque wrench. Many auto parts places will loan you tools for free. You need only leave a deposit.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Archived