CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Can I Put Coolant Temp Readout on the DIC

coolnesss

There's a procedure in the archives to override the standard DIC readout to add the coolant temperature - but - the archives also have non-conclusive comments that it can't be changed on a post '98 car.

Does anyone here have the definitive answer?

There's a procedure in the archives to override the standard DIC readout to add the coolant temperature - but - the archives also have non-conclusive comments that it can't be changed on a post '98 car.

This might be just my car, but by pressing ENG DATA button on the DIC I can see COOLANT TEMP, RPM, OIL LIFE, BATTERY VOLTAGE

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Not me.

But many (all?) of the display options vaporized with the advent of the Federal OBDII regulations effective 1/1/1996.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I did it on my 1997 STS.

I think the problem lies in the 98 and newer STS.

I would think its worth a try on the 02 Eldorado, which is based on the same platform as my

97 STS.

Keep searching, you'll come across it.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Go into your diagnostic mode,get to IPC, go to IPC OVERIDE.scroll down till you get to option E wait a second or two until the over ride value shows where the trip odometer normally shows, it will probably read 43.

Here are option E values

coolant temp (64)

battery volts(32)

engine rpm(16)

avg mph (8)

mph message (4)

fuel used (2)

instant mph (1)

The display is set up for battery volts,avg mph,fuel used,and instant mph for a value of 43, we want to add coolant temp which is 64, 64+43 is 107. So use the warmer button until it reaches 107 from 43 if you go to high use the cooler button. Exit the DIC by pressing off repeatedly. It should then show in your DIC readouts.

Hope this helps. Post back if you need clarification of anything

Hmm, I was under the same impression as Ted. Is this only on the Eldo or can I do it on my DHS as well?

EDIT:

Just went out and tried it. No joy. Can't get to overrides. I think maybe the Eldo was not changed because they knew it was being phased out, much like it never got the fuel pump access panel.

Hey caddypete, where do you come up with this info. I currently have a 99 Eldo, an 01 Deville and an 03 Seville. I have found postings on how to access the OBD system but have never found a good discription of how to use what is in there. Every time I need to use it I find myself bumbling around for 20 minutes untill I figure out how to run the darn thing. Is there an actual diagnostic menu or some other tool that outlines what is in there? I actually have the GM CD's for all of the vehicles and I do not see anything about this function. Oh, I almost forgot to mention my 94 Fleetwood which I believe has some functionality build in also. Any info would be greatly apreciated although everything is currntly working great!! Love my Caddy's

Hey caddypete, where do you come up with this info. I currently have a 99 Eldo, an 01 Deville and an 03 Seville. I have found postings on how to access the OBD system but have never found a good discription of how to use what is in there. Every time I need to use it I find myself bumbling around for 20 minutes untill I figure out how to run the darn thing. Is there an actual diagnostic menu or some other tool that outlines what is in there? I actually have the GM CD's for all of the vehicles and I do not see anything about this function. Oh, I almost forgot to mention my 94 Fleetwood which I believe has some functionality build in also. Any info would be greatly apreciated although everything is currntly working great!! Love my Caddy's

The '94 Fleetwood has onboard diagnostics - a little different than the FWD cars though:

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER side of the temp rocker. After the segment check, -00 will be displayed. That is the "pointer". Pressing OUTSIDE TEMP will toggle between the pointer and the trouble code. Use the FAN UP/DN to increment/decrement the pointer.

Pointers -00 thru -04 contain the trouble codes. Current codes are two digits and history codes have three digits with a "1" as the first digit. The second and third digits are the trouble code. For example 32 would be a current code and 132 would be the same code although a history code.

Pointer # Parameter Display Range Default value

-00 ECM Trouble Codes

-01 CCM Trouble codes

-02 ECC Trouble codes

-03 SIR (Airbag) trouble Codes

-04 ABS/TCS Trouble Codes

-05 Program number 0-255

-06 Commanded blower motor spd 0-128

-12 Vehicle speed in MPH

-16 Sun load sensor assy 200+ = Dark 240

150- = light

-17 Current temp. valve position 0-255

-19 Temp valve pos. (full hot) 180-250 180

-20 Temp valve pos. (full cold) 5-60 60

-21 Coolant temperature degrees C 90

-22 Commanded temp valve pos. 0-255

-24 Air delivery mode 0-7

-25 Inside air temp sens Value increases as temp. decreases

-28 Outside air temp asm Value increases as temp. decreases

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I can't remember where I got that info from, I had it saved on my computer. I'm pretty sure it was saved from a post on here. When you find those interesting posts you should save them because it seems it is impossible to find them when you want them.

Archived