CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

More details please.

Does it start off in 2nd?

Does it go forward at all?

Does it have reverse?

What codes does it have?

Pull the codes and post them.

The car will tell you what is wrong with it.

Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

Push in the cup holder and turn off the traction control and it will go into first gear. I know, it sounds silly, but I had to read the manual to figure it out myself. Good Luck.

Paul

The tranny on my 99 seville SLS won't go into 1st gear any ideas?

I believe that with the traction control OFF, it's not supposed to use 1st gear. You might also check the Valet mode and make sure that it's off. Neither the button on the dash nor the fob won't open the trunk or fuel door when the Valet Mode is on; that's the quickest way to check that.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

My bad, you are right. I just looked it up in the manual again and I had it backwards.

On page 2-26 it states:

If the traction control switch is off, your vehicle will not go into FIRST (1) gear and the vehicle will accelerate from a stop more slowly. This can help in the deep snow or mud conditions. When the traction control is turned off, a message will be lit on the Driver Information Center (DIC).

Sorry about the confusion with my memory.

According to the owners manual, the valet lock does not have anything to do with the shifting into first gear. It only locks out the fuel door, trunk and garage door opener.

Paul

Yeah, my valet mode doesn't do anything to the tranny either. I know in the early 1990's Corvette ZR-1 the valet mode would disable the "big" fuel injectors (each cylinder has two) and thus limit the horsepower to about 250. No one would notice unless they tried to unleash the 405 hp, which is not something you would want a valet to do.

Click here for why.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived