CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bad battery or bad alternator?

adallak

My new battery from NAPA kept draining for a month or so and eventually it is so low now that I cannot start the car. I noticed unusually low voltage on the DIC if the car has been left sitting for a few days (up to 11.0 V). I have measured the drain current on car's side and it was just about 2.5mA. That current will not drain a battery in a year! The alternator works as usual and puts about 14.5 V while driving. The car never stalled or something. The negative terminal of the

first battery bought from NAPA melted down and fell off the battery! I guess the steel thereaded insert inside of the lead member had bad connection, heated up and eventually melted the surrounding lead down...

1. How can I test the alternator?

2. How can I convince the NAPA guy they gave me another bad battery?

3, Any good inexpensive battery charger to try?

Thanks gents for your suggestions. This was quite frustrating because I have got a starter problem as well. The Advance cannot find a replacement for my ACDelco starter bought with lifetime warranty... That starter was discontinued...

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

My new battery from NAPA kept draining for a month or so and eventually it is so low now that I cannot start the car. I noticed unusually low voltage on the DIC if the car has been left sitting for a few days (up to 11.0 V). I have measured the drain current on car's side and it was just about 2.5mA. That current will not drain a battery in a year! The alternator works as usual and puts about 14.5 V while driving.

If your system voltage is at 14.5 Volts, your alternator is doing its job.

The next logical suspect is the battery (new or otherwise). "New" batteries can fail in minutes/hours/days right off the shelf.

The true test of a battery's condition is capacity. and NAPA can certainly test that for you.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I found the following that seems to indicate that the alternator is the problem?

http://www.2carpros.com/topics/battery.htm

Question: 2001 Chevy Impala mileage: 55,000. Hi...my girlfriend's old Impala eats batteries! We had one burst last month, thought it frozen. Got a replacement, now this one is belching sulfurous gasses and is warm to the touch after the car has run for a little while. Not cold enough to freeze - possible charging system problem? Sometimes the interior lights/radio lights go dim, then bright again, also. The alternator is putting out about 14.7 volts, the battery is charged to about 13.5 volts, seems high. I thought maybe the voltage regulator could be bad, but don't know where it is on that year vehicle! Otherwise a great low-mileage nana car...any advice you guys could give on where to start looking for the problem would be appreciated!

Answer: Check the ground wires to make sure they are in place and making good contact, especially the battery cable ground connection to the motor. If this checks out okay, you probably have a faulty alternator. BTW you will need to replace the battery again also. It cant take over charging.

Archived