CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1997 Seville STS: heat/AC fan won't work. Help, please!

ronspain

Hi. New member, first post. My wife was driving MY seville when she smelled an 'burning electronics" smell and the climate control fan no longer works. I can feel heat, and I think AC, and heat still comes and goes with temperature setting, but the fan won't blow.

I'm hoping someone can tell me the problem, and really hoping this is a repair I can do myself.

Thanks!!

Ron

Time for a new blower motor. The new motor is redesigned but you must buy the foil/fiberglass heat shield to protect the motor from the engine heat. GM used to include the heat shield with the new motor but now it must be purchased separately.

Th easiest way to R&R the blower motor is to disconnect the suspension sensing modules linkages and lower the engine cradle slightly. It sounds like much more work than it really is. I have the job down to about an hour. The old motor will come out without dropping the cradle by removing the 1/2" thick inertial plate and rotating the motor. The new motor does not have the removable inertial plate and the squirrel cage fan is slightly larger than the old one which is why lowering the front of the engine cradle makes th einstallation so easy - it tilts the engine forward enough to gain enough room to instal the motor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Same thing happened to my 96 STS 4 yrs ago and it was the blower motor. Bought a new unit at Idiotzone, it was pretty expensive if I remember, >$200 (lifetime warranty & came w/heat shield). To test before installing I unpluged the harness to the old unit and into the new one & turned fan control on low, it started blowing right away so I confirmed the old one was bad. Installation wasn't too hard, I had to remove the coil pack and the top brace. There's a rubber access point (it's labeled I believe) you cut out on the plastic blower assembly to get the old motor out. My fat hands had trouble getting the new unit bloted this tight area in so I ended up cutting out about 2 more inches around the access point. Sealed it up afterwards with a/c tape. No problems since! Good luck!!

I replaced it on my '97 without lowering the cradle. Disconnected the passengers side "dog bone". Replaced the drivers side with a turnbuckle and pulled the engine forward an inch or two. It was still tight, but doable.

Archived