CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cracked Windshield

Scotty

I noticed this morning that my windshield is cracked, I recall getting hit with something yesterday. I hate the Long Island Expressway as it is frequented by dump trucks constantly dropping debris.

My question is how difficult is it to change. It looks like there are plastic hold downs all around, is this job better left to the professionals? Any secrets to this, I dont want an inferior windshield... Thanks, Mike

I noticed this morning that my windshield is cracked, I recall getting hit with something yesterday. I hate the Long Island Expressway as it is frequented by dump trucks constantly dropping debris.

My question is how difficult is it to change. It looks like there are plastic hold downs all around, is this job better left to the professionals? Any secrets to this, I dont want an inferior windshield... Thanks, Mike

I would say let a professional take care of it. The windshield is too important.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Check with your insurance company. If you have collision/comprehensive, it should be covered. I've had 2 or 3 of them replaced for various reasons over the years. The glass people come to you and do it in your driveway or parking lot. On the last one, I think my co-pay was about $65. What could be easier?

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Check with your insurance company. If you have collision/comprehensive, it should be covered. I've had 2 or 3 of them replaced for various reasons over the years. The glass people come to you and do it in your driveway or parking lot. On the last one, I think my co-pay was about $65. What could be easier?

Our insurance company (Liberty) dropped us for replacing the windshield too much! I will pay for it out of pocket for now on as a result, Mike

Mike,

Is it a crack across the windshield or just a stone chip? If it is a stone chip that is not in your line of sight, there is a repair kit available for about $8.00 by Permatex.

If you wind up having to replace the windshield, definitely have a glass shop do the repair. Also, insist on the same brand of glass that was installed at the factory.

I'd get the A/C fixed first though... :D

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Mike,

Is it a crack across the windshield or just a stone chip? If it is a stone chip that is not in your line of sight, there is a repair kit available for about $8.00 by Permatex.

If you wind up having to replace the windshield, definitely have a glass shop do the repair. Also, insist on the same brand of glass that was installed at the factory.

I'd get the A/C fixed first though... :D

No question about the AC, I am hoping to order all the parts next week its getting too hot!

Its a small stone crack about 2 inchres long on the pass side, that just gets inside the wiper line about an inch, so its not too bad. I will look into the repair kit! Thanks, Mike

The crack will most likely propagate the entire length of the windshield over time. I think the repair kit is for the spiderweb cracks but the glass shop should be able to tell you if the windshield can be repaired.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Mike,

Those repair kits are just for "bullseye" holes. My insurance will fix those for free rather than replace a windshield and they do a pretty good job if it's not in you line of sight. I got one right after getting this car but it was right in my line of sight and I couldn't live with it so I opted for the replacement ($100 thru my insurance with glass coverage). I watched him do it and it is not a hard job IF you have the right tools and expirience. Also, very easy to crack if your not careful and will leak if not preped properly. I'd leave it to the pro's. If it leaks, they come back.

Thanks Larry, its starting to spread already, so at some point I will replace it. Too many other things on the list at this time however, Thanks, Mike

Archived