CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear Oil Seal

Julio

I have resealed the LLC in doing so the rear seal falls out so I bought a new one, the old one doesn't appear to be bad but for the low price of a new seal one was ordered. Today I went to install it and they are quite different. The new seal is on the right with the green ring(see Picture) it is GM part # 12556107. The green ring is a metal band, the old one is all rubber.

Did I get the right part? I thought at first this was some sort of protective cover for shipping but it doesn't come off.

This is for a 97 Northstar if you have replaced your seal with one of these or know why they went to this OEM replacement please pass it on.

Thank you,

Julio

post-3-1086537783.jpg

I have resealed the LLC in doing so the rear seal falls out so I bought a new one, the old one doesn't appear to be bad but for the low price of a new seal one was ordered. Today I went to install it and they are quite different. The new seal is on the right with the green ring(see Picture) it is GM part # 12556107. The green ring is a metal band, the old one is all rubber.

Did I get the right part? I thought at first this was some sort of protective cover for shipping but it doesn't come off.

This is for a  97 Northstar if you have replaced your seal with one of these or know why they went to this OEM replacement please pass it on.

Thank you,

Julio

Yes, you did get the right one. This is the new style seal for that year. By the way, do not attempt to install it without the correct tool, or you will be in for

a world of hurt. There is a special tool that you "must" use for this seal. The seal is pressed onto the crankshaft. Special tool number is J42842.

The changeup occured in the 96 year I believe, and we have used this new seal in pretty much every Northstar that we work on. The only change since, has come in 2003. Now the seal is a blue color, and there is a different "special" installer for that particular seal. I do not know what the difference is between the older green colored seal and the new blue colored seal. Perhaps Bill could comment on that.

Ian

Thanks Guru, I followed the directions in the helms manual for installing the LLC seal and have some of the sealant left, helms says to use RTV at the LLC seam at the rear seal, should I use the sealant used for the LLC?

Guru you suggest using the old one because of the complexity of installing the new one. I don't have this tool and the old seal seems good, I could stop where I am prior to hanging the exhaust manifolds and accessory components and take it to a dealer for them to install. I hate going to the dealer though, I'm not sure what it is like at your favorite caddy dealer but the 2 here in NE Florida are donkeys, they don't like people that don't go in there looking like they just got off their 40 foot yacht with their butler in tow. I'll call around the Chevy dealers see if they can install it before I decide what to do, they're closer to my house any way and don't act so arrogant.

Thanks Guru I appreciate it.

Julio

Well maybe I'm too tough of my dealers here I'll give them a call and see if they'll work with me, If not if some one wants to overnight me one I'll pay all shipping to and from and buy one a case of beer or equilivant to make it your while.

Julio

Archived