CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bad Popping Sound

MAC

.... I have noticed a noise from the right front strut while turning the wheel when pulling into parking places. I am starting to think it is the strut mount/bearing.

One possible thrust bearing check would be to park both front wheels on a slippery surface such as two layers of cardboard. Have someone turn the steering wheel (engine at idle) while you place your hand on the top of the strut towers.

You should be able to feel a failing/failed bearing.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have noticed a slight amount of a floating sensation as well at higher speeds, but it's very subtle.

I have noticed this lately with my STS - at highway speeds, it feels like it wanders slightly while on straight sections of road. I checked all four wheels with the 3:00-9:00 and 12:00-6:00 force test and all four wheels were tight. I have noticed a noise from the right front strut while turning the wheel when pulling into parking places. I am starting to think it is the strut mount/bearing.

Thanks for the info. I think you're experiencing the same thing I am, but to a lesser extent. But it will no doubt get worse.

.... I have noticed a noise from the right front strut while turning the wheel when pulling into parking places. I am starting to think it is the strut mount/bearing.

One possible thrust bearing check would be to park both front wheels on a slippery surface such as two layers of cardboard. Have someone turn the steering wheel (engine at idle) while you place your hand on the top of the strut towers.

You should be able to feel a failing/failed bearing.

Thanks for the tip. I'll ask my brother-in-law to help me.

Thanks for the tips. I think the compressor should work fine too. I thought about buying the type of compressors you use, which is similar to what I made, but compressing the spring in one shot would be convenient. At this point, I'm looking to get it done and get it over with. If I rent a compressor it's almost like paying for the one on Harbor Freight. So why not add it to my tools.

because the rentals at these places are free if you decide to in fact return what you use when you are done and you don't have to wait for them to be delivered via ups ;)

I have noticed a slight amount of a floating sensation as well at higher speeds, but it's very subtle.

I have noticed this lately with my STS - at highway speeds, it feels like it wanders slightly while on straight sections of road. I checked all four wheels with the 3:00-9:00 and 12:00-6:00 force test and all four wheels were tight. I have noticed a noise from the right front strut while turning the wheel when pulling into parking places. I am starting to think it is the strut mount/bearing.

Thanks for the info. I think you're experiencing the same thing I am, but to a lesser extent. But it will no doubt get worse.

I also notice a clunking/popping noise when going over manhole covers or rough sections of straight road.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I "Found" a bad strut mount/bearing by placing my hand on top of the strut and bouncing

the front end (like a shock absorber "test"). I could feel the "pop".

rek

Status Update:

I replaced the right strut mount and I still hear the popping. My next guess is that a mount is lifting causing the popping. I have a new rear trans mount, which is on the right side. I think I'll replace it. The steering turns easy and the rack seems fine.

Status Update

I tried to replace the Axle today and was unsuccessful because I was unable to remove it from the trans and I wasn't sure if there is a retaining clip that is holding it in or does it simply pull out. Anyway, it was an eventful afternoon in light of over-extending the Axle and causing the Spider Trunnion and Block Bearings to come apart. :blink: I was careful to watch it so it wouldn't come apart but I took my eyes off it and the rest is history. So the only choice was to remove the Outboard Seal/Cover and, of course, grease came pouring out. :rolleyes: I was able to get everything back together except for the Cover, which is another story. Once the Cover is removed it takes patience to get it back on. Long story short, I was unable to reuse the metal Seal Retaining Clamp, but luckily, I had, of all things, a self-lock plastic tie wrap that is 21 inches long and 5/16 thick--It worked like a charm. In the meantime, I'm going to have to take the Cover off again in the near future to refill it with grease. There is still plenty left to keep the Axle lubricated but I'll play it safe and replace what poured out.

The bottom line is that the cause of this mysterious popping and squeaking is the strut itself. I remember hitting a deep pothole and now that I think of it the problems started about at that time. Today when the strut suspended by itself it was very difficult to turn it on its bearing, which I just replaced. After getting it all back together nothing has changed and now I realize that the strut is binding which is causing the popping and squeaking sound. At this point, I'm almost 100% sure I finally figured it out.

The remedy would seem to be new front struts. Now I have to decide which struts to buy, preferably the entire strut assembly with spring.

I'd think the strut would be difficult to turn just due to the extreme force the coil spring exerts on the assembly. Also, once you refill the CV joint with grease, get the proper metal clamp and use the crimp tool to seat it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived