CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hybrid Caddy???

Vince P

To all the Really Technical People

GM is getting into the Hybrid craze. I guess it is a matter of time before Cadillac has a hybrid.

Question

Does any one know:

1. What the life of a Hybrid battery is?

2. What the cost of replacing a Hybrid battery is?

What I have heard is that the life of a Honda Hybrid battery is 5 years with a replacement cost of $4000. A Toyota Hybrid can have individual cells replaced at the cost, including installation of $500. per cell. Toyota uses a battery that has 83 cells.

I do not know how reliable this information is.

Vince P

1994 SLS

148,000 miles

I saw something on the news not long ago regarding that. I seem to recall about the same numbers as you qoute, maybe a bit higher. Seems all you save on gas will be spent on a new battery unless you dump it first. However you'll probably take a real beating on a trade since the $4-6K battery replacement will be taken into account. Once the public becomes aware of it, it will be impossible to sell privately. Sounds like throw away cars.

Thanks Guru for that post. Lots of good info.

I did want to point out that Honda's Hybrid Civic comes with an 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty on the battery. That Hybrid Civic, by the way, is very much a "real" Civic (with different tires, no doubt). If I had to choose a Hybrid to drive every day, that would be the one.

But thankfully, I don't. Thankfully, diesels are coming to America! We just got back from Jeep 101 (a national traveling marketing show, basically) and the '05 Liberty will come with an optional common rail 2.8L 4-cylinder diesel. 165 hp and 295 lb*ft of torque. Yes, that is as much torque as the L37 Northstar. I can't wait to see a magazine test of one, just to get their impressions. I think I'll have to go test drive one, just to see what it's like.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

We just got back from Jeep 101 (a national traveling marketing show, basically) and the '05 Liberty will come with an optional common rail 2.8L 4-cylinder diesel.  165 hp and 295 lb*ft of torque.  Yes, that is as much torque as the L37 Northstar.  I can't wait to see a magazine test of one, just to get their impressions.  I think I'll have to go test drive one, just to see what it's like.

As I'm sure youre aware, that engine has been in use in the UK for a while now in the Jeep Cherokee (Liberty). Here is a little bit of informaiton from a British car magazine about the Cherokee/2.8

TG Choice - 2.8 CRD Sport

0-60 12.6sec (the 2.8 is rated at 148bhp in UK, torque not shown)

27.4mpg

3 of 5 stars

"If you dream of rolling prairies while stuck in Stockwell, or fancy yourself as something of a cattle rustler, but are instead stuck in a middle management rut, then the Jeep badge is for you. And the Cherokee is the pick of the lot"

-Chris

As I'm sure youre aware, that engine has been in use in the UK for a while now in the Jeep Cherokee (Liberty). Here is a little bit of informaiton from a British car magazine about the Cherokee/2.8

TG Choice - 2.8 CRD Sport

0-60 12.6sec (the 2.8 is rated at 148bhp in UK, torque not shown)

27.4mpg

3 of 5 stars

"If you dream of rolling prairies while stuck in Stockwell, or fancy yourself as something of a cattle rustler, but are instead stuck in a middle management rut, then the Jeep badge is for you. And the Cherokee is the pick of the lot"

Yep -- we Americans are so far behind on our acceptance of diesel technology. My folks have an '03 Liberty, and it has a 3.7L SOHC gas V6. It runs good, but it's speed isn't enough to justify its poor gas mileage (22 max on the road). This is where the diesel comes into play (in my opinion). The 2.8 is rated, according to the Jeep literature, at 165 hp and 295 tq. They did mention another diesel, which I seem to remember as rated at 148 hp, as a 2.4 or a 2.6 diesel engine. I could be wrong though.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

It runs good, but it's speed isn't enough to justify its poor gas mileage (22 max on the road). This is where the diesel comes into play (in my opinion).

Warren - lol! I'm surprised how slow it is though, given all that torque!

jadcock - This is also from the same listing in the magazine:

Don't be fooled by The lure of the biggest engine. The 3.7 V6 petrol has a huge thirst for unleaded, opt for the oil burner :)

If you are ever in the UK, pick up a copy of Top Gear, very well written and pretty funny. You can get it in North America, but without the ~75 page car listing.

-Chris

Archived