CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How to run sat-receiver audio into radio?

TDK

Finished another, relaxing 1,500-mile trip in the the Big Red Dog. Same fine mpg (23.5 @ 82.5) and numerous, on-demand triple diget flights (to pass quickly on two-lane roads).

The nicest part of the trip was the Sirius satellite radio. However, it does get some interferance in towns because I used the portable sat receiver's quick and easy built-in FM transmitter to broadcast the signal to the car's FM radio.

Question, Where would the audio output from the Sirius car adapter (a pair of RCA cables) connect to the '94 standard, non-Bose radio. Is there a connection behind the radio in the dash, or do I have to run the RCA cables back to behind the rear seat somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I might be out of line... but huh? Back behind the seats? If you are using an fm modulator then it does not matter about rca's... You are using a specific frequency in the "fm band" It just comes through the "radio." Be it 89.1 or something else. If you want to controll it through the deck then you must get something that works with the head unit... I.E. NOT fm modulated but more like line level input with an AUX feature or something that is Sirrus ready.

Personally I have xm through a FM modulator(pinoneer xm 903) it has nothing to do with RCA's.... But I have a seperate Controll input (supplied by pioneer) on the dash to change radio stations... I just tune in 89.1 and it's like it was meant to be there...

Then again I pulled the Crappy bose radio out a long time ago and put an aftermarket in as soon as I could get inside the car. So if your trying to controll it through the standard factory unit... does it have RCA input or an AUX input...? YES? then attach it there.. if not then look for a fequency through the fm modulator. MY xm only cuts out on long tunnels or a HEAVY wooded roads... thats all...

Does that help??? MD

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

your FM modulator shouldn't be distorting except for extremely "insulated" places. you are wanting to find some input leads so you can cut out the distortion completely, right? well, your best bet is to get an aftermarket receiver...otherwise, i'd try to get used to occasional interferance with your modulator.

Some of the FM modulators are pretty weak and will give you AM radio type static and allow interference if a strong FM station is in the area.

Also, all FM modulators reduce the fidelity of the audio signal by limiting its bandwidth. If you want the real CD quality sound, running the line audio output from the Sirius car adapter (RCA cables) will be the way to go.

To do it though I'm pretty sure you'll need a cable adapter to run in to the CD changer input.

take a look at http://www.installer.com/aux/index.html

OK then,

Thanks to Mike D, Lacseville and Greg P for responding:

I may not have clearly noted that - although I currently use the built-in FM modulator, I would like to use the "line output" instead - to eliminate interferance from strong FM stations and to improve the overall quality (as Greg P noted).

It would appear that the relatively weak built-in FM transmitter has a hard time competing with commercial radio signals at the antenna location, allll the waaay back at the passenger-side trunk. Granted you can switch xmit freq's between 88.1, 88.3, 88.3, 88.5 and then bump the radio tuner to match - but that gets old. And then - there is the matter of better sound quality via wires, which I had initially overlooked,

The Sirius car adapter already has a 1/8" stereo "line output jack" to connect into an "aux input", or as Greg P noted - the "CD changer input". It also includes an adapter cable terminating in a pair of RCA ends

The primary question I had was where to plug-in the RCA cables. This was alluded to (again by Greg P) as the cd changer input. I believe that I have read in other posts - that the cd changer is installed in the trunk, so it probably connects behind the seats - somewhere...

Ratz! Another set of wires to route under the dash over to the the side and under the door jamb covers. I had hoped the radio or whatever in the dash, might have something easily available.

Now I just have to determine if the radio is "smart enough" to automatically switch to the cd-changer inputs when a signal is present. I have already dissected the cd-caddy (several times almost to component-level) in the radio head unit, in a vain attempt to cure its problem wth not ejecting discs when warm - or was it cold? <_<

In any case, thanks again folks! :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived