CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What a way to start the Morning

JIMDTS

I woke up at 6:45 an and this is what I seen in my driveway!! The car is at the dealer getting it back to normal..This sure T's me off

Now I will put some wheel locks on and a better alarm and this is in a pretty safe neighborhood.. Go figure..

Jim

picture.JPG

How can somebody jack up a car and take the wheels off in the middle of the night, in the driveway, right next to the house without waking anybody up? Don't they worry about being shot on sight? What kind of desperation drives someone to do something like this?

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Hmmm....I better go get some locks today for my fake DTS.

What the bad guys do.....

Put cinder blocks under the car. Then let the air out of the tires. No jack needed.

Hi Everyone

Yes Logan get some wheel locks I hear Mcgard are the best cheap investment..I'll have a couple sets on from now on.But I hear from some guys in the know they thiefs have a socket with special reverse threads to get the locks.Similiar to and esy out type thing..Go Figure If i would have been up I would have introduced them to a 12ga..

Cheers

Jim

I went and got some locks right after seeing this post.....so they are already on the car as of about 30 minutes ago. $22 set from Pep Boys.

The locks wont save the wheels. But it will slow them down quite a bit.....and maybe they move on.

Tire shops often carry a special socket to remove locks for people who have lost the key. Its basically a internal tapered socket...and is hammered on to the lock socket. Its a noisy process so kind of hard not to draw some attention @ 3 am.

JIMDTS......I would plan on replacing all the brake rotors.....if they dragged the car on to the flat bed. Thats murder on the rotors.

Hi Logan

Thanks for the size. I talked to the tow truck driver and he tells me to put 2 sets of wheel locks 2 nuts per wheel and that will stop them. He mentined 1 set is a hassle 2 sets is forget it so that's what I'll put when I get the car back from the dealer,I'll put them 180 deg apart I figured my nieghborhood is safe but go figure I guessed wrong with no wheel locks and I'll get the alarm modified too. This simple BS is a hassle to boot. And they put some scratches nad nicks and dented the lf fender in the process they jacked the car rite at the bottom of the fender and bowed it out about an inch. So it will take some body and paint work too to get it back in shape and the jackass tow truck driver scratched the heck out of the chrome exhaust tips driving the car on the flat bed with the small doughnut tires so they will replace them too. The adjuster at the dealer was marking the hell out of the car with a marker and who knows what damage is the the rf rotor which the car was sitting on..

Cheers

Jim

Ps buy another set of wheel locks too.. Cheap protection..

I went and got some locks right after seeing this post.....so they are already on the car as of about 30 minutes ago. $22 set from Pep Boys.

As did I. :( The car parks in the garage overnight, but we take enough out-of-town trips that I feel safer with the wheel locks, even though I've never bought a set before. Ones I had before on another car were cheap (Rally brand). These McGards are nice.

Jim, hope your insurance company does you right on this one. Wheels are relatively easy to replace. At least they didn't take your baby.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hi Jason

I'm going to put 2 sets of Mcgards on mine and add a shock sensor to the factory alarm that way if they try to beat them off it will set off the alarm in theory

Good move on the Mcgards the crooks hit another cadillac on the next block too That's what the cops told me the crooks just come around a couple times per year and hit what they can and don't come back for along time. Sheech the car was rite out in the open too..Bold bastards..At least if there is a next time it will be much harder for them to get I wish I would have heard or seen something I would have called the cops and if they didn't show up fast enough I would have introduced them to one of my favorite 12ga.'s Heck my wife was up until after 3am so they had only 3 hour window to get the wheels now the fun starts with the insurance co.

Shoot I just raised my comp. deductible to $250 so this deal already cost me $250 for years I had $50 deductible and the agent said it would be cheaper to up the deductible It should be no problem but you never know..with insurance deals..Just hope my policy don't get raised That will P-ss me off big time.Heck I live in a good neighborhood and this crap happens..So you never know..

Cheers

Jim

Dang man.... that is wack....

They don't need to be shot.

They need to be lead into a room so all of us can use a baseball bat on them till our arms get tired.

Then.. we can call it a wrap after that.

Peace ByStorm

Who touches a Cadillac?

What is your major malfunction when you do this?

Thats wrong, but anyways I'd throw up some motion sensitve lights, the wont like working in the light :)

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

hmmm, guess i'll need to go get some of those locks for my wheels. Don't want to have to put my old ugly factory wheels back on :D

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

What they do....

They come by...center a cinder block. And either cut the tire or quickly remove the tire valves. Then go away...

Come back a 1/2 hour later. Pull the wheels/tires. And leave the car to balance on the blocks.

I also noticed....they left the lug nuts behind.

I think your fender damage may really be from them yanking that tire assembly from the wheel well.

Typically about 3-4 guy group. All they need about 4-5 minutes. Its actually a very quick operation....and then they are gone....

I see that sort of thing all the time here where I live. The only difference is that they only rip off the customized wheel on the Hondas, Toyotas etc.

It's still a bummer.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

What kind of desperation drives someone to do something like this?

MONEY!!!

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

MONEY!!!

It makes the world go 'round.

I read an article in Car & Driver about thieves in New Jersey ripping off the HIDs out of newer Nissan vehicles. They said with the recent generation of Maximas, HIDs were standard, so it's a sure bet. Takes 'em 45 seconds to pop the hood latch and take a screwdriver and pry the lights out of there (snapping them off at the mounts). All they really want is the bulb or the balast or whatever the expensive unit is in there. Article said the Nissan dealer quoted $1000 for the parts.

MONEY!!!

It makes the world go 'round.

I read an article in Car & Driver about thieves in New Jersey ripping off the HIDs out of newer Nissan vehicles. They said with the recent generation of Maximas, HIDs were standard, so it's a sure bet. Takes 'em 45 seconds to pop the hood latch and take a screwdriver and pry the lights out of there (snapping them off at the mounts). All they really want is the bulb or the balast or whatever the expensive unit is in there. Article said the Nissan dealer quoted $1000 for the parts.

Yes, and the New Jersey State attorney general is now suing Nissan over those headlights.

I see them all the time at the bodyshop getting repaired/replaced. Yeah, the mounts are made of plastic, that's why it's so easy to get them out. Makes sense to have a $1,000 light bulb held in place with a piece of freakin' plastic.

The crooks do more than just pop the light, they sometimes rip the steel on the fenders to get them out. Heartbreaking for the owners and a real hassle for bodyshops who keep seeing the same cars over and over.

Yes, and the New Jersey State attorney general is now suing Nissan over those headlights.

Yeah, and I can't BELIEVE what the suit is over. The article said the state is suing Nissan for not telling owners of the potential danger of having your headlights stolen. GIMME A BREAK!!!! EVERY headlight bucket is made of plastic. No big deal! What are you going to do, put a padlock on your headlights? It's like Jim suing Cadillac for not telling him of the potential of thieves wanting his chrome wheels.

We are WAY too lawyered up in this country... <_>

Jim,

Been computerless for several days. The posted picture of your DTS didn't come thru on my PC but from the discreption, I get the general idea.

Go Figure If i would have been up I would have introduced them to a 12ga...

Nice ... sad thing is, some liberal lawyer will say human life is worth more than your wheels. Hmmmmm. Oh well, but a 120 lb shepard (or suitable subsitute) will make them think twice before messing with your car.

They need to be lead into a room so all of us can use a baseball bat on them till our arms get tired.

And then they should be "cained" afterwards.

Hope all works out for you with the Ins Co. I'm having issues right now with my Ins Co but it is regarding my home ... but still the same old thing. As far as the wheels go ... someone had to make them for Cadillac. Perhaps a good parts guy could help you out here because I'm sure they could find out via contract numbers/codes and such.

Jim White

Yeah, and I can't BELIEVE what the suit is over. The article said the state is suing Nissan for not telling owners of the potential danger of having your headlights stolen. GIMME A BREAK!!!! EVERY headlight bucket is made of plastic. No big deal! What are you going to do, put a padlock on your headlights? It's like Jim suing Cadillac for not telling him of the potential of thieves wanting his chrome wheels.

We are WAY too lawyered up in this country... <_>

The sad part about this lawsuit, and you pretty much hit the nail on the head, is that the people who actually suffered the damage and the inconvenience will NOT be getting any of the settlement money. It's the lawyers and the State who will get it all.

It's like that Law firm (name slips my mind at the moment) that was in charge of processing a bunch of claims from the families who lost members in the 9/11 attacks. The law firm distributed a measly $87,000 to these families and then issued their bill for "services rendered" that topped over $480,000. Shakespeare was right when he said, "First, lets kill all the lawyers."

Hi Jim

I hear you about caining..too bad this is not Singapore!! Not sure about what's up with my claim but in the morning I will be on top of it..Just ripping off the wheels from my car and the towing and stuff did a lot of damage and parts are high but that's what i pay ins. for!!

Go figure

Jim

Jim,

One issue that may be involved here is who the adjuster works for. If possible, find out if he/she is contracted by your insurance co. If so, step it up a notch. It may not get you no where but at least you tried. That is what I've had to do with the episode with my house ... and that happened on March 9th and no work has started yet and I've been without a kitchen since that date.

My guess is the Ins Co is looking for a quick settlement. Not sure what to tell you about the use of replacement parts or not ... probably depends on your policy. Did you have the chrome wheels, 7 spokes, with each side beveled in a little. That is what I have on my STS (17") and they are pretty spendy to replace. Perhaps a dealer can help you with the way your DTS was originally equipped.

Anyway good luck!

Jim White

Hi Jim

I hear you on stepping it up a notch in the morning I will persue the issue with management . Heck all I want is the car returned in pre loss condition. Sorry to hear about your issues,I just have an adjuster who is an A-- with a capitol A

I will post what happens I still really know nothing other than the jerk is working on the estimate which hopefully will change in the morning

Cheers

Jim

Archived