CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Well it took a little time but I found my notes that I made at the time.

"Select PCM Data PD42, note octane level, Lower Base ignition timing using, PCM Override PS22"

That's what I have on that. As said before I checked and the octane was already set to 87.

Hope that helps.

• 1 year later...

I have a 99 Deville. I tried mid grade fuel several times and it pinged when I accelerated. So...I basically gave up on that and have just run Premium in the car for the majority of the 192,000 miles.

I have a 99 Deville. I tried mid grade fuel several times and it pinged when I accelerated. So...I basically gave up on that and have just run Premium in the car for the majority of the 192,000 miles.

I also experimented with my '06.

Didn't work well.

i too just run Premium all the time and don't worry about it any more.

:D :D

Posted Image

I have owned two cars with Northstars: a '98 Olds Aurora (may she rest in peace, or pieces, as the case may be) and a '97 Deville Concours, which I am presently driving. My experience with different fuel grades has been similar in both cars. There is a noticeable loss of performance and fuel economy on regular, but the difference in performance and fuel economy on mid-grade is negligible, compared to that on premium. The Aurora did 18-19 around town on either mid-grade or premium and about 30 on the highway. With regular, I would get around 15 in town and 25 on the road, if I was lucky. The Concours is a little thirstier (heavier, less aerodynamic vehicle with a bigger engine) and gets about 15 or 16 in town and 26 on the highway on a good day when running mid-grade or premium, and about 13 in town and 23 on the road with regular.

I have also noticed that the Concours doesn't like ethanol blends as well as it does straight petrol. A mid-grade 10% ethanol blend will perform like straight petrol regular. That's one reason I keep that car, like the Aurora before it, on a steady diet of BP Silver. Of course, the 5% rebate on my BP card also helps, but the oil spill is making me start to rethink that.

The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground--and miss!

--Douglas Adams Life, The Universe, and Everything

caddyplate.jpg

I have 80,000 on my 2006 DTS.

I have done multiple road trips in it since I bought it new.

I have done multiple experiments with fuel.

I have compared Regular and Premium.

I have compared "REAL GAS" to the 10% Ethanol blends.

This may not be applicable to anyone else's car but...

On "MY CAR" I take about a 10% hit on mileage when running Ethanol blend vs "REAL GAS"

It takes a small hit on power when running the Ethanol blend also.

When running regular...it takes almost a 15% hit on mileage and a "HUGE" hit on power.

When passing and you go WOT... it feels so sluggish that you think something is wrong with it. :D

SO..in conclusion...at least on "MY CAR"... I gave up trying to run "ANYTHING BUT" premium.

Heck..it is an almost new Cadillac... if I can't afford to put good gas in it... I should have bought a V6 Chevy. :D

Posted Image

Archived