CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 Deville missing on cylinders 1 & 4, Ignition Control Module?

perk-d420

I got a couple things wrong the major thing is my control modlue is junk i replaced it once cause the first one was no good. the computer told me cylinder 4 miss fire so i replaced the cm. when i put the new one on it worked for 2 months now im not getting nothing from 1 and 4 tried putting new coil pack on and still nothin so i think that it's got a dead cell at 1 4 can some one tell me y this keeps happening

the other thing is i have heat out of the vent on top of the dash but have nothing coming out of the othere vents

if anybody has a cm and is somewhere in ohio will you let me know thanks to everybody who reads this and commets please need to get this fixed asap cant drive on 6 cylinders

post-10355-1232322228_thumb.jpg

:welcomesmiley:

Modules rarely go bad. Two things that can pop modules are putting a fast charger on the battery without disconnecting it, and putting jumper cables backwards on a dead battery. If you haven't done that lately, your modules probably are fine.

Cadillac has a computerized diagnosis system that you seem to be using, as you said that a code told you that a cylinder was misfiring. The first thing to do is to read the codes and post them here. Here's how:

The codes will be of the form XXX Xnnn [History or Current], and we need the letter followed by four numerals, Xnnnn, and which are Current and which are History.

The Northstar has four coils, each of which fires two cylinders. A bad miss on two cylinders usually means a bad or shorted spark plug wire, a problem with a connector, or a bad coil. Let's look at the codes first and go from there.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I got a couple things wrong the major thing is my control modlue is junk i replaced it once cause the first one was no good. the computer told me cylinder 4 miss fire so i replaced the cm. when i put the new one on it worked for 2 months now im not getting nothing from 1 and 4 tried putting new coil pack on and still nothin so i think that it's got a dead cell at 1 4 can some one tell me y this keeps happening

the other thing is i have heat out of the vent on top of the dash but have nothing coming out of the othere vents

if anybody has a cm and is somewhere in ohio will you let me know thanks to everybody who reads this and commets please need to get this fixed asap cant drive on 6 cylinders

If you keep burning out IGNITION CONTROL MODULES (I assume this is what you are talking about), check to make sure the bolts are tight and all grounds are connected.

What kind of ignition wires and plugs are you using?

Check the resistance of your coils with an ohm meter and post it here, we have a thread that gives 'norms'..

How did you determine that you had a #4 cylinder misfire? What what kind of a computer?

Check your codes for both these problems

This is your first post, welcome aboard. Keep in mind that we volunteer to help, this is not our job nor to we get paid to help you. To inform us that you need help FAST and that you need to get this fixed ASAP on a SUNDAY night is a little much. We will be glad to help, and can, just have patience.

Since the SEARCH system here searches based on topic title I changed your TITLE to something that is INFORMATIVE and less rushed an panic stricken.

Again Welcome aboard

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

:welcomesmiley:

Modules rarely go bad. Two things that can pop modules are putting a fast charger on the battery without disconnecting it, and putting jumper cables backwards on a dead battery. If you haven't done that lately, your modules probably are fine.

Cadillac has a computerized diagnosis system that you seem to be using, as you said that a code told you that a cylinder was misfiring. The first thing to do is to read the codes and post them here. Here's how:

The codes will be of the form XXX Xnnn [History or Current], and we need the letter followed by four numerals, Xnnnn, and which are Current and which are History.

The Northstar has four coils, each of which fires two cylinders. A bad miss on two cylinders usually means a bad or shorted spark plug wire, a problem with a connector, or a bad coil. Let's look at the codes first and go from there.

i took one of the other packs and tried that and it still didnt work so the i put 1 4 coil pack on another one and it fired so i dont get it can a cm only burn out in 1 spot

i want to thank you both for helping i'll go up to the shop in the morning and i'll get the codes thanks again

No problem let us know what you find, I have found that determining the cause of a mis can be the most difficult thing to diagnose

How did you determine specifically that it was 1 and 4?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

What you are calling the CM is actually the ICM (Ignition Control Module).

You cannot get heat from the dash vents on a Deville until 2000. Pre 2000, heat comes from the floor and cooling from the dash vents and never the t'wain shall meet.

I think the top vent he's referring to is the defroster outlet. If airflow only comes out there and not the floor, it is possible that there is a vacuum leak somewhere in the circuit that controls the damper to the defroster.

Perk-d, How did you determine the misfire is happening on cyls 1 & 4? The onboard diagnostics will just set a P0300 code which is the general misfire code. Have you checked to see if you have spark at cylinders 1 & 4? If you do, that would rule out the ignition components.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I think the top vent he's referring to is the defroster outlet. If airflow only comes out there and not the floor, it is possible that there is a vacuum leak somewhere in the circuit that controls the damper to the defroster.

Perk-d, How did you determine the misfire is happening on cyls 1 & 4? The onboard diagnostics will just set a P0300 code which is the general misfire code. Have you checked to see if you have spark at cylinders 1 & 4? If you do, that would rule out the ignition components.

yes i checked and i hads no spark at 1 and 4 coil pack so i tried one off of the other ones and it still didn't work you are right bout the code that it readpo300b radom multiple misfire

If swapping coils with one of the other three on the pack that are known good coils still results in no spark, then I would suspect the ignition control module.

Are the modules you've been swapping in known good modules?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If swapping coils with one of the other three on the pack that are known good coils still results in no spark, then I would suspect the ignition control module.

yes i checked to make sure they had spark b4 i put it on 1 4

I was referring to the ignition control modules you have been installing - are they known good?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I was referring to the ignition control modules you have been installing - are they known good?

the one that i put in it was a known good one

the one that i put in it was a known good one

Autozone and Advance can test your ignition control modules for free. Just replaced one on my 4.9 engine...

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Something dosn't make sense. If a known good ICM did not produce any spark on cyls 1/4, I would suspect the "known good" module.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived