CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My car was stolen

My 1995 Cadillac Eldorado ETC was stolen last night from my job. They seem to have busted the windows and whatever they did and stolen my car. How could they have taken the car without the keys. I thought these car will not crank with out the keys with the chip.

My father owned a Mercedes and while visiting his sister in Brooklyn, NY, thieves tried to tow it away. They were unsuccessful but not before leaving the rear end halfway out in the street.

MAC

Sorry to hear, I used to have one too, but if they want it bad enough it dosent matter what it is they will get it. Hope your insurance covers you.

Joe

My 1995 Cadillac Eldorado ETC was stolen last night from my job. They seem to have busted the windows and whatever they did and stolen my car. How could they have taken the car without the keys. I thought these car will not crank with out the keys with the chip.

Sorry to hear about your car. It wasn't clear in your post - did you get the car back already or at all?

I feel your pain - a few years back someone tried to steal my old '84 Deville. Cost me over a thousand dollars to make her right again.

Hope everything works out.

--Brad

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Sorry your car was stolen.

One can defeat the key protection, with the right know how and appropriate tools. The hope is that it slows them down enough to want an alternate car or not have time to steal yours.

We had a problem with stolen cars at my work for a while, even with parking lot patrols and camera surveillance. They finally permanently gated off the easy access to the highway out of the parking lot, which seems to have stemmed the tide.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Oh wow, I feel so bad for you. I hope you had insurance coverage for the theft? It's a bummer, no matter. :(

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Believe me I feel the pain also :( , I've had a '83 blue ss monte carlo and a 95 red corvette(this one at gun point) :ph34r: of the 3 vettes setting together in a row he chose the red one. So never a red car again. Hope your ins works good on stolen cars i had to fight with them on both occasions.

NO!!! I have not gotten the car back yet It happen last night. My insurance will cover it but I don't how long I have to wait till they find my car or to get a check to get another Caddy. I had just waxed it and changed the oil before I went to work, then five hours later after leaving work I came out and the car was gone and only some pieces of glass was left on the ground.

Cadillac Eldorado,

Wow, sorry to hear about that... I can imagine how you feel. I once had a new snowmobile stolen from me, didn't even have it for 24 hrs! Never did get it back. :( If they want it, they'll find a way that's for sure.

Hope that you insurace does you well, in my case I was very fortunate. I had only called my agent to get a quote on this sled, never really called him and told him I had picked it up. It was the weekend and was going to do that on Mon. when i got back home. :o

The biggest issue with used car loss is the ins. co. valuation vs. your feelings of it's worth. Stick to your guns on this though, and arm yourself with anything (reciepts, similar vehicles for sale, etc.) to help back you up. Good luck, maybe they will recover it and it won't be too bad.

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

What really puzzles me is why they went after a 9 yr. old car. I know that they are usually after parts (chop shops) but how many 9yr. old cars are left needing parts. I always thought the pro's go after newer cars (larger parts demand). If a pro took it, you'll never see it again. If it were otherwise, it may still be recovered. Sorry for your loss and good luck.

Sorry to hear about your car. I would have rather they took my car instead of just the wheels and hoped it never was recovered..

Must have been a bad night for us..and a good night for the crooks..

Good Luck

Jim

I don't know why they would take a 9 yr. old car. I just got it repainted 7 months ago the color Pewter. Maybe they wanted the chrome 5 spoke rims. The car was in good condition.

A nine year old car gets stolen for the parts. All of them.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

CE,

My sympathy goes out to you...I hope you're able to find your car and the people who stole it. Not too long ago there were incidents where wheels were stolen off cars parked in the employee parking lots of the Richard J. Hughes Justice Complex, Trenton, NJ. This is where the headquarters of the State's Attorney General, Deputy Attorneys General, numerous State departments and Appellate Court and Supreme Court are located. The building has extensive security, including State police and a security team that patrols the parking areas. Didn't deter the thieves though, they stole wheels in broad daylight.

MAC

Yeah man, sorry about your ride too. I had my '88 Sedan Deville stolen from my driveway a little over one month after I bought it, after I detailed it. I still have the busted lock to reminde me of it.

It was recovered but I feel your pain for sure...

Peace ... ByStorm

CE,

My sympathy goes out to you...I hope you're able to find your car and the people who stole it. Not too long ago there were incidents where wheels were stolen off cars parked in the employee parking lots of the Richard J. Hughes Justice Complex, Trenton, NJ.  This is where the headquarters of the State's Attorney General, Deputy Attorneys General, numerous State departments and Appellate Court and Supreme Court are located.  The building has extensive security, including State police and a security team that patrols the parking areas.  Didn't deter the thieves though, they stole wheels in broad daylight.

MAC

Happens all the time in New Jersey. While the area might have a lot of cops around, the people who actually run the parking lots are usually a private company and they pay their help minimum wage which is why they won't bother to stop anyone who comes in the parking lot to steal. A guarded, gated parking lot never stops thieves. In fact, the guy who's working for the parking lot company is probably cheering for the thieves and maybe even involved with them. It's called, inside job.

The worst are underground garages in office buildings. No one is around and usually there's no security or, the security is a $5.15/hour parking attendant. Cars get stolen all the time from underground garages, even at government complexes.

Yeah man, sorry about your ride too. I had my '88 Sedan Deville stolen from my driveway a little over one month after I bought it, after I detailed it. I still have the busted lock to reminde me of it.

It was recovered but I feel your pain for sure...

Peace ... ByStorm

Sounds to me like maybe someone copied your keys?

"Experts" have suggested that you change the door locks on your car after you buy a used car. You never know who had the key to the door lock and ignition before you bought the car and once they have access to the car, it's usually a matter of mere seconds before they can drive the car away.

With the new chip keys is much harder to reproduce them, but still not impossible with the right connections and ordinary keys, well, you can get one duplicated in about 2 minutes at any hardware store.

This vehicle has no chip, 1988 Sedan Deville.

The thieves broke the lock and used a screw driver to to start the car. I repaired the steering column but, the lock cost about $900 or more to repair. I have since bought a Club and use a aftermarket car alarm (Python) that also locks and unlocks the car doors I use the same with my wifes Jeep

Peace ByStorm

This vehicle has no chip, 1988 Sedan Deville.

The thieves broke the lock and used a screw driver to to start the car. I repaired the steering column but, the lock cost about $900 or more to repair. I have since bought a Club and use a aftermarket car alarm (Python) that also locks and unlocks the car doors I use the same with my wifes Jeep

Peace ByStorm

The "Club" takes about 30 seconds to defeat. They simply hacksaw through the wheel, offset the ring and slide the "Club" off.

Another 30 seconds for me to put on my slippers and grab "Louie" (my good buddy by the door a.k.a. Louisville Slugger) and be chasing the no gooder down the street :angry: .

It doesn't matter what you do, if someone wants to get your car really bad, they're going to get it. Either sawing the wheel to get a club off, towing it away, disabling the security.

My buddy has a superb idea though; he ran a switch from the neutral safety switch on the transmission to a switch under his dash on his 75 Chevy Half-ton. Without knowing where the switch is and which way to have it flipped, no one can start his truck. I'm sure if you approached any local garage they could have someone rig something up for you very similar. You can hide the switch anywhere, in the ash tray, under the seat, right on the dash. A thief would get in and no starty. They're not going to know what a switch does on the dash ;) . And there is no way for you to forget about it because every time you go to start it, you have flip it to the "On" position, start you car, then flip it back "Off".

It would also be one hell of a good trick to play on the wife when she goes somewhere and you get the "Honey, the car won't start” phone call. You show up the triumphant hero and start the car. You could possibly do this 8 to 9 times before telling her about the switch :lol:.

Spence

Yeah, many years ago when I lived IN Chicago I always had a kill switch wired in. It was the first thing I did when I bought a car. Some where hidden under the dash, some where mounted in the trunk, one was mounted inside the door jamb behind the hinge. It was much easier then. All you had to do was ground out the ignition off the coil.

Another 30 seconds for me to put on my slippers and grab "Louie" (my good buddy by the door a.k.a. Louisville Slugger) and be chasing the no gooder down the street :angry: .

Please, don't ever do this. Call the cops and try to get pictures or a video of the thieves but NEVER approach them, even if you have a gun because they usually have guns too and unless you're wearing body armor, you might end up losing your life over a car. It's never worth it.

Archived