CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water Pump 2002 Escalade

Hello all this is my first post on this forum. My water pump on my 2002 Escalade is leaking. I took it to the local dealership and they ran a compression test which revealed a bad water pump. They quoted me 700.00 for the new pump and flushing. I''m considering doing this replacement myself. Is this a very difficult task and is there anywhere online that I may get some instructions/diagrams. I was just wanting to get more information on this before I decide if I can tackle it myself. Thanks in advance for your help.

:welcomesmiley:

I don't have direct experience with current gen GM big OHV V8s but I do have a lot of experience with the small block and big block V8's used into the early 1990's. My general advice is that yes, changing the water pump is a DIY job.

I suggest that you begin by draining the coolant and removing the fan belts or serpentine belt (be sure and draw a diagram of how it goes back before you take it off) and unbolting the fan shroud, even if it can't be removed because the fan is too close to the radiator to get the shroud past it. This will let you get a socket wrench in to remove the fan blade, which can be removed. If the shroud can be worked out between the water pump and the radiator, take it out then. At all times be careful not to scar the delicate radiator surface. Then, remove the radiator hoses from the water pump. Then you should be able to get a socket wrench on the water pump bolts even if the shroud is still rattling around in the way.

If the shroud is too much of an impediment, pull the radiator first. Remember to unhook the oil cooler and transmission cooler lines first. Leave the A/C condenser in place if you can; if you must remove it, leave the A/C hoses attached, put a blanket around it, and place it out of the way.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived