CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Drag Race

BUICK11

help me out. We recently took delivery of a 2008 STS V6- Direct injection RWD for my wife. Got a great Deal!

I drive one of the first DTS cars a 2001.

That 2008 STS feels really strong all the way up the power curve. In fact it even feels stronger than my 2001 DTS Northstar. I know the axle ratio on the DTS is 3.70. I know nothing about the STS except it is fast and one really nice car. Since my wife is not about to drag race me I was wondering what would be the faster car?

Thanks for your input.

If anyone is in need of a new car NOW is the time to buy Great deals and a fantastic car.

The way the wife drives the STS it is always over 20 mpg.

Thanks

Frank

The STS V6 makes 302 hp at 6,300 rpm and 272 lb-ft at 5,200 rpm; it weighs 3,929 lbs. 6 speed auto. 0-60mph in around 7 sec.

The DTS V8 makes 275 hp at 6000 rpm and 295 lb-ft of torque at 4400 rpm; it weighs 4,009 lbs. 4 speed auto. 0-60mph in around 7 sec.

The difference will be who can launch their car better.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

At higher speeds, the horsepower to drag will tell, and at 30 hp advantage and lower frontal cross-section area, I would go with the CTS above 60 mph.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I don't know who would win... but if you could talk her into it... it would be fun to do.

Sounds like an episode of PINKS is developing...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

One correction for what is worth. My 2001 DTS is rated at 300 HP I believe it does have that 3.70 axle ratio(something i do not like for highway cruising). I think the "Hole shot" at the start line may be the difference. Since their is NO way my wife would race, I have a old drag racing friend visiting soon.

Think I will let him drive the DTS and I will drive her car. We are strickly quarter mile racers.

Will advise results.

TO BAD WE GOT TO GET OLD!

Thanks for the input

Frank

Don't forget to also keep us informed about how you like the new 2008 STS.

As for the drag race...assuming equal launches...(as much as I love my DTS) I will give the edge to the STS.

Reasons are...they are about equal on HP , but the STS has a SIX SPEED transmission and REAR WHEEL drive.

If your DTS is anything like mine, it is extremely hard to LAUNCH IT real hard off the line.

I get wheelspin and wheelhop on mine coming off the line HARD.

Even with traction control OFF... sometimes STABILITRAC kicks in and kills the launch.

But that aside... the new six speed tranny keeps the STS in the power band a little better than the four speeds in our DTS's.

Good luck and have fun... safely.

I AM getting old... but i still like to have fun. :D:D:D

Posted Image

Couldn't we use quarter-mile times from the same publication, like Car & Driver or Road & Track?

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Using publication specs takes the fun out of it! A couple of OLD guys need to have some fun. I already got the place picked out and a quarter mile marked off.

Anyone interested in a nice car, take a long hard look at that V-6 STS. I cannot find anything wrong with it! We traded the 1999 SLS with 50K on it.

Wife wanted to look at a Lexus. Sorry NO WAY.

We did look at the Lucerne Buick BUT you cannot get all the little things that Cadillac has to spoil you!

The difference in price is substantial between the Northstar Caddy and the V-6 BUT I will take the Direct Injection

V-6 any day! (For less money)

Frank

Frank,

I agree with you.

Publication specs are just that... it may or may not be accurate to what YOUR car can (or can not) do. :D

You need to actually JUST DO IT... :D

Besides... driving is a lot more fun than reading some ole book. :D:D

I have heard nothing but GOOD THINGS about the 3.6 DI engine.

It might make me rethink my V8 or nothing policy.

I also looked at the Buick Lucerne North* version before I bought the current DTS.

Same thing... it lacked several things.... it just wasn't a CADILLAC.

Posted Image

The driver who will handle my DTS is a retired New Jersey State Trooper. his ID has gotten us out of a few speeding tickets. Hope we do not have to test it for Drag Racing!

I use to be a V-8 guy as well. BUT you need to try that new Caddy!

I will post again once we have the results.

In todays age we can use cell phones to communicate to try and get a fair start. Something we did not have in OUR younger drag racing years.

I think they are gun-decking a bit on the V6 STS. It is very similar to a DI CTS, which one would expect to do 6.5s 0-60mph.

The V8 STS is good for around 6.0-6.3s 0-60 with 18 extra hp, so you might think the V6 would do 0-60 in 6.4-6.7s or so.

The 469hp STS-V gets that down under 5s, but it is a bit heavier also. BUT if you want to race, the V series Cadillacs are a good pick.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

If you have to do it on a marked mile, it would be safer and a far less serious infraction if you use the cars, one at a time, with a stopwatch. You can both drive both cars, with the other guy handling the stopwatch each time. Or, you can use a G-Tech acceleration timer that will give you the 0-60 and quarter mile times directly. If I really had to get numbers for my car, I would take it to the local track and get in line with the motorheads and do it legally.

just think if they put the DI 3.6 in a FWD vehicle. I like FWD for snowy, icy conditions but have nothing against AWD either. i have not followed too closely the GM 3.5,3.6 and 3.9 motors.

As info we drove the AWD in the STS even the wife admitted it had a strange feeling going around corners. The service manager said they were hard on tires and lots of people complained about the different feel. Since it was her car her choice. We tried the CTS as well. The suspension felt a bit more Eurpean than she liked coming out of a older SLS. She loves the STS. Still trying to figure out all the navigation and blue tooth stuff.

Archived