CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

R&R brakes

Ok, members,I'll try to keep it simple.. my 94 eldo has 91,000 on it and I got it from an elderly woman at 75'000, and I suspect the brakes are original as it was REALLY babyed. They shudder on hard use, and the rear warning strips are squealing.My plan is to replace all 4 rotors, all 4 calipers,pads and dot 4 fluid (do it myself) I checked with napa, and I can gey oem {style} made in usa for $53.00 each or more for delco through gm parts direct .please advise,after reading that brake problem lnk posted by someone earlier, I'm confused as to which pads to get. I'm a heavy footer, but I also don't want noisy in town. Advice?

I use Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic brake pads. They stop really well and they are extremely low dusting.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

You might want to check out tirerack.com and plug in the info for your vehicle and see what they may have for you, or at least use the information that they have.

Personally I would use ceramic pads. Less noise and less brake dust. Which equals less work in the area of leaning the rims.

ByStorm

By Storm,

How do you like the ceramic pads? I put them on my Chrysler 300m and they sucked so bad I returned them after only 6 months for carbom metallics and replaced the rotors. Maybe I didn't bed them correctly, but I found the amount of pedal pressure required was too much for my 16 yr. old daughter. When they were cold, first thing on a winter morning, they were dangerous. Couldn't get the car to stop at a stop sign without extra effort. :o

Ok, members,I'll try to keep it simple.. my 94 eldo has 91,000 on it and I got it from an elderly woman at 75'000, and I suspect the brakes are original as it was REALLY babyed. They shudder on hard use, and the rear warning strips are squealing.My plan is to replace all 4 rotors, all 4 calipers,pads and dot 4 fluid (do it myself) I checked with napa, and I can gey oem {style} made in usa for $53.00 each or more for delco through gm parts direct .please advise,after reading that brake problem lnk posted by someone earlier, I'm confused as to which pads to get. I'm a heavy footer, but I also don't want noisy in town. Advice?

I'd stick with OEM parts or at least good quality aftermarket parts.

I wouldn't replace rotors or calipers unless you know they they are bad or unless you just want to spend the money.

Changing the fluid isn't a bad idea for a ten-year old car.

I was checking out the rear pads on my 96 STS. The fronts are getting ready for pads and rotors as they have been turned a couple of times and are at miminum thickness. The rear rotors looked GREAT so the thought struck me to move them to the front after a clean up and buy new, lower cost replacements for the rears. The rears never seem to wear out due to their minimal work in slowing down the beast. I don' t drive like some of you hot rods so that may not be a good alternative for some. My wife drives the car to work and is slower than your granny so don't see any safety issues for her. I have taught her the WOT procedure and she is starting to like it!

I put "rotex gold" brake pads on my 94 sts. They stop really good, not too much pressure required and only faded under extreme conditions. The main benefit of these is that they don't produce nearly as much brake dust as OEM pads. I have DTS 17" chromes on the STS and I like to keep them shiny. Additionally, the dust that does accumulate comes off so much easier that it was well worth it. I bought them at www.brakewarehouse.com and was very satisfied with the service. hope this helps. I don't know what the chemical break down is of these pads. I did make sure that I broke them in per instructions included.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Archived