CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Seville Cabin Air Filter

chazglenn3

Is AC-Delco the way to go for these like most other items on our cars, or is there a suitable aftermarket brand that also has activated charcoal to filter odors and fits well? I know about the huge pain it will be to change them, but there is a dank, musty smell in my car and I suspect the filter elements. I briefly considered having the dealer do it, but as annoying as the job is, I can't be sure they would really change them.

Charles

My 03 Seville has 75K on it now and I have never changed the cabin filters. Air flow seems good through the heating/cooling system. Is there any adverse results if just continue to ignore them?? Thanks

Personally, I'd stick with AC Delco. The filters from other manufacturers may be fine, but when you think about how long they MIGHT be in there, Delco is prob. the way to go. Other filters might not last as long. I suggest that the way to do it is take it to a dealership, have them supply the filters, and watch them change them out. They make a buck or two on the filters, and it really doesn't take long.

The musty smell may require more than just a filter change. In reality, they're pretty ineffective for reducing offensive odors. A dealership will know how to eliminate the smell, and might use the tech tool to turn on "fan after run" if that's available on your model. My old Merkur had a service bulletin for musty oders that called for cleaning the heat exchanger with a special cleaner or baking soda mixture. Make sure the odor is not coming from a wet trunk or carpet padding.

I know the rules about customers in the service bay, but this is a minor job with little or no exposure to danger, a proper service dept. will understand your concerns. Just tell them you want to see the old filters, it's not like they have a bunch laying around.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived