CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What's the difference?

kcd1184

I,m two weeks new to this site. Signed up when I bought my first Northstar. Don't get it till I fly down to Dallas this Saturday morning. I've been so absorbed by trying to learn a few things, being on the computer more than usual, that my wife wanted to know if I had an online girlfriend. Seriously! She keeps coming up behind me real quiet, to see whats on my screen.

Anyhow, what I'm seeing is that the cars are set to three top speeds, according to tire ratings. There are four different horsepower motors (270,275, 295,300) between Sevilles and the Eldorados. Was the horsepower a deciding factor in what tire a car received? Is it different "chips" with a certain horsepower motor? Did any Eldorados come with th Z rated tires?

Besides having a different transmission with the larger horsepower motors, how much of a difference is there between the smaller and the larger horsepower engines? Just a basic layman terms answer would suffice. I know that this is shooting out quite a few questions, but what the heck.

Thanks

Almost a Eldo Driver

Kent

The only difference between the 275hp & 300hp is the cams. not sure if the Eldo has the 300hp but I think the ETC might.

I don't think the SLS (275hp) had Z rated tires, only the STS (300hp). I would think the Eldo is the same (ETC only). I also beleive the Z rating was optional. Check the driverside door jam to see what tire rating came from the factory. That will tell you what your speed limiter is set at. No "chips" as I understand it. It is programmed into the PCM.

Don't take any of this as gospel. I may be wrong on some points and if so I am sure I will be corrected by those who know more.

The PCM speed limiter programming did not begin until 1996. The speed limiter in Northstars' (1993-1995) was set via a computer chip. The computer chip can be replaced with a "performance chip" which will completely remove the speed limiter. One such chip can be purchased through Domestic Performance. With this in mind, does anyone know the top speed of a 270hp Northstar without a speed limiter?

http://www.domesticperformance.com/product...2a8f6e881230427

MAC

Besides having a different transmission with the larger horsepower motors, how much of a difference is there between the smaller and the larger horsepower engines?

Since you're speaking about Eldorados, I'll talk in context of them. But the same applies to the Seville and Deville models too.

The "base" Eldorado got the LD8 engine (275 hp, 300 tq), and a 4T80-E transmission with a 3.11:1 final drive. Good torque, great mileage. Depending on the model year, the base Eldorado didn't have computer-controlled suspension (like 1997 for instance). The interior was slightly different, with solid leather seats (vs. perforated) and some black matte plastic trim pieces (vs. woodgrain).

The Eldorado Touring Coupe (ETC) got the L37 engine (300 hp, 295 tq), and the same transmission, but with a 3.71:1 final drive. Better acceleration, worse mileage. All ETCs to my knowledge have some form of computer-controlled suspension. ETCs have perforated leather seats and woodgrain trim pieces where the base models had matte black plastic.

In the field, the performance of the two is so close, it's not worth discussing the differences in great detail. ON AVERAGE, the ETC would be faster than the base Eldorado, but any given pair of cars might perform differently. With the Eldorado, both base and ETC models are very close in features and character. The Seville isn't quite the same -- the SLS and STS have much different characters.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Interesting details on the details...my 94 has the non-perf leather but the wood grain dash...it also has a 'cobra head' as opposed to T-type shifter. This is the Eldorado 'base' model.

Let me clarify -- because I don't think I explained the woodgrain correctly. All models had the woodgrain across the dash surrounding the air vents. The base Eldorados (and the SLS as well, at least the 96+ models) have black plastic matte surrounding the shifter, and on the ashtray cover. This is where the ETC (and STS) have the woodgrain. This may not be correct for 1995 and older, but should be true for 96+ Eldorados and 96-97 Sevilles.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I've been so absorbed  by  trying to learn a few things, being on the computer more than usual, that  my wife wanted to  know if I had an online girlfriend. Seriously! She keeps  coming up behind me real quiet,  to see whats on my screen.

Anyhow, what I'm seeing is that  the cars are set to three top speeds,  according to tire ratings. There are four different horsepower motors (270,275, 295,300) between Sevilles and the Eldorados. Was the horsepower a deciding factor in what tire a car received? Is it different "chips" with a certain horsepower motor?  Did any Eldorados come with th Z rated tires?

Hey Kent,

Congrats on the "New" Eldorado, I'm pretty sure you are really going to like that car. I really love mine, favorite car next to my Firebird. :P

I had to laugh when I read your post as that is exactly the way my wife responded to me spending a lot of time on the PC researching this Eldorado that I bought. Maybe that is why she rarely drives it, and is becoming very pushy that we should sell "that car"! :(

I don't believe I have heard of any any other model than the ETC or STS that came with "Z rated" tire option. Mine had Z rated tires on it when I bought it, but unfortunately was originally equipped with "S rated" tires according to the door sticker... Good luck with the car, and have a fun, safe trip back to IL! ;)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

bbobynski,

Thanks for clarifying how the speed limiter is setup through the PCM and the info about the 270/275/295/300hp Northstars'. I also appreciate the maintenance tips. I didn't know about the phenolic spacer plates. The coolant was flushed last year and replaced with the green coolant and sealant. All is well except for the oil leak down the front of the engine, which drips onto the hot exhaust. I don't know if it's the half-case seal or head gasket, but if I can locate it I will try to clean the area with brake cleaner and seal it with hi-temp silicone. I'm a bit worried it may cause a fire.

MAC

MAC, Don't be too concerned about the oil leak. I traced the leak on my employees LD to the metal line that goes to the oil filter. All it took was about 1/4 turn with a wrench and it was fixed. I had to remove the Air filter housing to find it, but it sure was a cheap repair!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

my wife wanted to know if I had an online girlfriend

she should be more concerned with a possible girlfriend when you get an Eldo :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived