CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Caddy CRANK SHAFT SENSOR?! O NO!

jeeves44

Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 Cadillac Deville with a little over 65K on it. I have replaced numerous numeous things but now the latest on the top of my list-- the engine light is on. I took to AutoZone to have them run the code and its popping up with the Crank Shaft Position Sensor. Just my luck though Northstars have 2! Upper engine and lower is what I was told. However the code doesn't say which one. I am wondering is that something quite timely or expensive to fix usually? The sensors at AutoZone are only about 40-50 bucks, but I'm sure the labor will make up for that! Also I was told that if you are replacing one you mine as well replace the other as that one is most likely going to go bad too...is that true? What could happen if I keep putting this off longer and longer?? I've been noticing mainly on the e-way that I'll be going at a steady speed (usually between 70-80) and all of a sudden it will kick down my speed and kind of jerk the car. If I hadn't known any better I'd think it's the transmission but I already had that whole mess fixed!! I can't really afford much now, and would hate to wait on this but I'm thinking I may have to for a few weeks longer...how much damage can really done?? :unsure:

Cadillacs of the vintage of your car had troublesome CPSs. My son's '03 STS had a bad "A" CPS. Replace both. Not difficult and a tight fit without removing the oil filter adapter but easily doable. Should take you less than one hour. Be carefull you don't break a connector like I did...

Your car will stall and will be difficult to start. Be smart, save your self a lot of heartburn and replace the crankshaft position sensors.

Cadillacs of the vintage of your car had troublesome CPSs. My son's '03 STS had a bad "A" CPS. Replace both. Not difficult and a tight fit without removing the oil filter adapter but easily doable. Should take you less than one hour. Be carefull you don't break a connector like I did...

Your car will stall and will be difficult to start. Be smart, save your self a lot of heartburn and replace the crankshaft position sensors.

Thanks Eldo! Feelin a little bit better about the situation. Now if I can just get it done with instructions over the phone from my boyfriend! What is the oil filter adapter? I do not know everything about cars, but I do know much more than women I meet. I change the oil but would that adapter be underneath by the filter...or somewhere under the hood?

The oil filter adapter is the round fitting the oil filter screws onto. If you look just above it you'll see both crank position sensors - "A" on top, "B" on the bottom. Both held in by one 10mm hex head cap screw easilt reached with a long 1/4" drive extention and socket over the bottom radiator rail. Remove the lower one first, then remove and replace the upper CPS and lastly replce the lower CPS and you're finished - again not difficult nor time consuming.

Another tip for you...you don't need to take your car to Autozone on anywhere for that matter to get the diagnostic trouble codes. They can be accessed from your dashboard using the Driver Information Center. I'm not sure how to do it on the base Deville with the digital instrument cluster, but a search on the forum should find it. One of the members may be kind enough to post it here for you, however. Welcome to the board!

Charles

Thanks so much guys for your help and tips! The codes in the diagnostic system would be great as I am constantly getting new ones!! Just did right now...but i'll post a new one so everyone sees it. Thank you!!! :D

One more tip. Don't use Autozone sensors. Their parts are cheap for a reason. Unless you want to do it the first time just for practice, use A/C Delco sensors.

Archived