CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hi all, new to this site and have a quick question for you.

The fuel pump on my 90 Deville has suddenly got louder, a grumbling sound.

I checked the fuel pressure at the rail and get only a dribble from the port.

I figure the pump has given up the ghost and I need to replace it but where is it located ?

Does the tank have to come out ? Freezing here right now !!!!

I tried the search function but nothing came up, thanks for your advice,

Afton.

It very well may be your fuel pump, but.... How long has it been since the fuel filter has been changed?

If it is freezing, there is a possibility that the filter has water in it and has frozen and is restricting your fuel flow. Not real likely, but it is possible.

Posted Image

It very well may be your fuel pump, but.... How long has it been since the fuel filter has been changed?

If it is freezing, there is a possibility that the filter has water in it and has frozen and is restricting your fuel flow. Not real likely, but it is possible.

Filter was replaced around three years ago and approx 5,000 miles.

When I said freezing, I was thinking about crawling under the car, not frozen fuel LOL.

I should have mentioned btw that the car was apt to bog down at idle in the last few days and seemed to lack power on occasion.

Afton.

You have to drop the tank to replace the pump. First you should disconnect fuel lines (quick-connect type, lubricate the o-rings with motor oil befor reconnecting) and some electrical connections. Remove as many tank strap bolts as necessary since it wll not be easy to put them back. It is not the most pleasant job particularly when it is so cold outside. Make sure you have no more than a gallon of fuel in the tank. It is quite heavy. A hepler would be nice.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived