CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AC Compressor

Scotty

Anyway, my real question is, do you have to vacuum the systm down to get it to take the charge?

I can't help you with the oil filter bracket, etc.

But, unless you have a vacuum pump, and are familiar with the procedure, I would do the work, and find a professional AC shop near you to evacuate it and charge it. Tell them what you did, so that they will make sure the correct oil is in the system. This way they can evacuate the system and check for leaks, and charge it properly. It would be a shame to waste all the money you spend on the parts. I plan on doing the same, Mike

Good point, even though the job wasn't that bad, I don;t want to do it again just for fun. I'll take it in have it vacuumed down and charged. Thanks.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

I tried the short belt, but they did not have the 6K739, so I got the 60733 (1/8" shorter), it was too short. So I am going to try to get the 6K739 or one a little longer. Scotty keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks I will, I am ordering all the parts the end of next week. The 6K739 is about a short as you want to go from what I can see, you may even want to go a tad longer. I will keep you all up to date, I am going to need some help with a few things... Thanks, Mike

Ok,

I changed out the compressor in my 1995 STS after being told it was bad by a shop. They said when they put dye in the system, it was obviously leaking from thew seam of the compressor ( I could see the dye when I changed the compressor).

After changing, I got a 134a guage and a couple cans of refredgerant. Upon trying with the compressor running to put in the first can, the pressure instantly shot up to 55 lbs. Somehow most of the first can went in but not all. I can feel the line from the dryer going down to the compressor getting cold and the line coming out of the box on the firewall also getting cold (by orifice tube) however, nothing past the orifice tube going torward the driver side (it's actually hot). Also I notice a hissing by the sensor reight by the orificae tube (lo pressure?). However, the hissing may be coming from whatever is in the friewall box (the sensor is ice cold tho so thats probably it).

Also, my compressor is not coming on by itself, I had to pull the relay and jump with a wire. This may be due to low refridgerant but there is no codes (there is an a12 history but not current).

Any help would be appreciated.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Also, my compressor is not coming on by itself, I had to pull the relay and jump with a wire. This may be due to low refridgerant but there is no codes (there is an a12 history but not current).

Did you check to see if you have a code being set due to low refrigerant? You may need to disconnect the battery to get rid of the code for the compressor to work again. Post how your experience goes with the evac and recharge. Mike

Ok,

I changed out the compressor in my 1995 STS after being told it was bad by a shop. They said when they put dye in the system, it was obviously leaking from thew seam of the compressor ( I could see the dye when I changed the compressor).

After changing, I got a 134a guage and a couple cans of refredgerant. Upon trying with the compressor running to put in the first can, the pressure instantly shot up to 55 lbs. Somehow most of the first can went in but not all. I can feel the line from the dryer going down to the compressor getting cold and the line coming out of the box on the firewall also getting cold (by orifice tube) however, nothing past the orifice tube going torward the driver side (it's actually hot). Also I notice a hissing by the sensor reight by the orificae tube (lo pressure?). However, the hissing may be coming from whatever is in the friewall box (the sensor is ice cold tho so thats probably it).

Did you use a vacuum pump to draw a vacuum on the system prior to charging with refrigerant????

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE,

No I didn't vac down the system. That was the problem, that and a bad low presuure switch. Took it into Caddy service this morning and $215.00 later, ice cold a/c. I let them know everything I did and what it was doing, they found the bad low pressure switch and vacuumed the system down and charged it. They told me in order to get the system to charge right, you HAVE TOVACUUM it down to 25 mercury (or something like that).

The $215 was $20 for the sensor, $28.50 for the refrigerant and two labor hours for diag and repairs (I think $79/hr) plus a couple bucks for show expenses.

All in all, I got ice cold a/c with a know bad compressor for about $440.00 ($220 for a reman Delco compressor, my own labor, and $215 for Caddy to fix a bad switch and recharge). Caddy wanted $1,100.00 to change the compressor with a new (they wouldn't do a refurb) and charge. I figure spending three hours changing the compressor myself on a Saturady morning was worth $600 B)

Thanks to all who replyed and you guys were right about vacuuming the system first.

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Archived