CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

tranny -- no 3rd or 4th gear

siul

thank you for helping.

I have a 95 sts that isn't shifting into 3rd or 4th. as it has been described by others, the car goes limp and back into 2nd when it should shift to 3rd. I replaced the shift solenoids today and saw that the one connected to the longer wire was broken. I replaced both, check balls back where they belong. however, when I went for a drive it didn't shift into 3rd or 4th, just like before.

I've disconnected the battery, cleared codes and gone back for a drive, twice. The only current code is T033....RR Wheel Speed Sensor Continuity Fault.

I guess thats why the display says "disabled traction control."

Any advice on what to do next? Do I replace the PCM? Does anyone have a how-to on fixing the tranny, if that is the problem. I'm afraid that a new tranny from the salvage yard will end up having a similar problem.

I think I remember that when it began to break it was intermittent, until it never shifted into 3rd again.

thanks

luis

T033 RR Wheel Speed Sensor Continuity Fault

My 1997 FSM doesn't cover OBD I codes. The closed equivalent that I can find:

C0235 Rear Wheel Speed Signal Circuit Open

C1235 Right Rear Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

The electrical section of the FSM on Antilock Brakes or Traction Control has a schematic of the wheel speed sensors on page 8A-44-2. The speed sensor has a two-wire connection to the EBTCM. Look for the brown and white wires for the RR. The jack on the sensor itself is likely loose or dirty. These wires go to connector C2 on the EBTCM, connections 13 (white) and 29 (brown).

Regarding the shift problem, a History code could be important here. Please post them, particularly if one of them looks like it might be relevant. My FSM, page 7-159, lists these items for no third gear (emphasis mine):

3-4 Shift Vale Bore Plug -- Misassembled

Driven Sprocket Support -- Exhaust valve cup plug or valve improperly installed

3rd Clutch Plates -- burned, splines damaged

3rd Clutch Piston -- Cracked, damaged, checkball damage

3rd Clutch Seals on Piston -- Cut or rolled

Checkballs -- Missing or stuck

2-3 shift solenoid -- Debris, or Wires pinched or damaged

1-2 shift solenoid -- Inoperative

This looks like a checkball that is sticking. It's possible that a ball is missing from a check valve or some such. You might have fixed a solenoid and missed a checkball on reassembly. Someone with hands-on experience working inside the 4T80E needs to step in here.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

i saw a nice 95 eldorado with white body/black roof on CL that has no 3-4 gear. they want less than 1k. lower miles too. i see siul says he was pretty sure he put the balls in right. makes me wonder? you assume the balls are in right from the factory since it did work at one time and than the solenoid goes bad. what are the odds you fix the solenoid and mess up the balls? i see more cars with bad motors compared to trans.

hmm. complicated problem.

The history codes are as follows:

P052

P109

I052

A037

T072

T077

At this point I'm not too concerned about the traction control problem, just getting 3rd and 4th back.

About the check balls, anything is possible and I could have done something incorrectly. But I bought an ATSG manual for the transmission to see the check ball locations for reassembly. My opinion is that that manual sucks (too small, not enough explanation), but I was able to confirm that I had the right number of check balls and didn't loose any. By the way, for anyone doing the shift solenoid job, the check balls stay in place if you flip the valve body assembly upside down and then slide the "cover" off. When putting it back I assembled it with the valve body upside down also. When sliding, if you feel that it is getting stuck (calling that a side to side movement), then slide at 90deg (in the "up" "down" direction), you'll see. The solenoid job is messy, but no big deal for those who need to do it. I suppose there is a slight chance that one of the balls could have come off its "seat" on assembly but I highly doubt it. But again, anything is possible.

I'm not sure what that solenoid does. I wonder if whatever it actuates is stuck. I don't know. I wish there was transmission expert to comment. Maybe the history codes have the needed clue, as was suggested.

whatever it is, I'd like to fix it, I'd hate to loose this battle. It's my moms car too, which I gave her, so I feel an even bigger need not to give up.

P052 (E052) PCM Memory Reset

P109 (E109) Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Reset/PCM has lost primary battery power

I052 Keep Alive Memory Error

I037 Loss of Air Conditioning Programmer Data

A037 ???

T072 Serial Data Link Fault

S077 Right Rear Accelerometer Overcurrent

It does look like most of these codes, or perhaps all of them, are from the battery being disconnected in the last few weeks, not from any real problem.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

P052

P109

I052

A037

T072

T077

At this point I'm not too concerned about the traction control problem, just getting 3rd and 4th back.

About the check balls, anything is possible and I could have done something incorrectly. But I bought an ATSG manual for the transmission to see the check ball locations for reassembly. My opinion is that that manual sucks (too small, not enough explanation), but I was able to confirm that I had the right number of check balls and didn't loose any. By the way, for anyone doing the shift solenoid job, the check balls stay in place if you flip the valve body assembly upside down and then slide the "cover" off. When putting it back I assembled it with the valve body upside down also. When sliding, if you feel that it is getting stuck (calling that a side to side movement), then slide at 90deg (in the "up" "down" direction), you'll see. The solenoid job is messy, but no big deal for those who need to do it. I suppose there is a slight chance that one of the balls could have come off its "seat" on assembly but I highly doubt it. But again, anything is possible.

I'm not sure what that solenoid does. I wonder if whatever it actuates is stuck. I don't know. I wish there was transmission expert to comment. Maybe the history codes have the needed clue, as was suggested.

whatever it is, I'd like to fix it, I'd hate to loose this battle. It's my moms car too, which I gave her, so I feel an even bigger need not to give up.

I am having the same problem. but with a 2000 seville. The car will not shift into 3rd gear. It will buck violently if you attempt to floor it in the hope it will shift. I have changed both shift solenoids with no success at fixing it. My mom has owned this car for 4 years and had no trouble with it. the fluid was clean and there was no debris or sediment in the oil pan. When it originally messed up we checked codes and it showed p0340, p0741, p1599, p1860. We cleared those and changed the solenoids. now it is just showing the p0340 and p1599. I am only letting her drive it for very short distances in town at 35mph or less. It doesnt seem to be slipping and shifts very well from 1st to 2nd. Any help from you or the others here would be enormously appreciated.

P052

P109

I052

A037

T072

T077

I am having the same problem. but with a 2000 seville. The car will not shift into 3rd gear. It will buck violently if you attempt to floor it in the hope it will shift. I have changed both shift solenoids with no success at fixing it. My mom has owned this car for 4 years and had no trouble with it. the fluid was clean and there was no debris or sediment in the oil pan. When it originally messed up we checked codes and it showed p0340, p0741, p1599, p1860. We cleared those and changed the solenoids. now it is just showing the p0340 and p1599. I am only letting her drive it for very short distances in town at 35mph or less. It doesnt seem to be slipping and shifts very well from 1st to 2nd. Any help from you or the others here would be enormously appreciated.

See this thread regarding the P1860 and P0741

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

P052 (E052) PCM Memory Reset

P109 (E109) Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Reset/PCM has lost primary battery power

I052 Keep Alive Memory Error

A037 Loss of Instrument Panel Cluster Data

T072 Serial Data Link Fault

I don't have T077 in my data base but I've seen it online described as another serial data link fault. The first three just mean that you've had your battery out lately. The data link faults are probably not serious unless they are current, or they come back quickly when you reset them.

Sorry I neglected to attach this link in my post above, Logan posted this

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=12067

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived