CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Question for Logan...

hey Logan, i saw in my earlier post about my leaking fuel rail that you said they were being recalled & replaced with stainless steel lines...i just called a local dealer and spoke to the service dept. ..they said there was no such recall..i was just wondering about your info...could you be more specific...i would love to save the bucks this repair is going to cost...please let me know...thanks, bob

NHTSA Action Number : EA04003 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : 04V110000

Make : CADILLAC Model: DEVILLE

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Year : 1995

Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE

Date Investigation Opened : February 3, 2004

Date Investigation Closed : April 23, 2004

Summary:

ON MARCH 3, 2004, GENERAL MOTORS NOTIFIED ODI THAT IT WAS RECALLING APPROXIMATELY 94,000 MY 1995-97 OLDSMOBILE AURORA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L V8 ENGINES (RPO L47 - VIN8 "C") TO ADDRESS CONCERNS WITH UNDERHOOD FUEL LEAKAGE FROM CRACKED FUEL RAILS AND, IN SOME OF THE VEHICLES, CRACKED FUEL RETURN LINES. ACCORDING TO GM, THE NYLON TUBING (PA12) USED IN THE FUEL RAIL CONSTRUCTION IN THESE VEHICLES MAY DEGRADE AND CRACK. GM'S SUPPLIER ATTRIBUTED THE CRACKING TO THE COMBINED EFFECTS OF HEAT, TIME, ALCOHOL FUEL, FUEL PRESSURE CYCLING, AND DESIGN STRESSES. IN ADDITION, GM STATED THAT THE MY 1995 AURORA USES A UNIQUE UNDERHOOD FUEL RETURN LINE THAT MAY ALSO CRACK AT UNUSUALLY HIGH RATES. GM DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW FUEL RAIL CONSTRUCTED OUT OF STAINLESS STEEL IN ALL OF THE RECALLED VEHICLES AND WILL ALSO INSTALL A REVISED CHASSIS FUEL RETURN LINE IN THE MY 1995 AURORAS. ON APRIL 16, 2004, GENERAL MOTORS NOTIFIED ODI THAT IT WAS ADDING APPROXIMATELY 389,000 MY 1995-97 CADILLAC SEVILLE, DEVILLE AND ELDORADO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.6L V8 ENGINES (RPO'S LD8 AND L37 - VIN8 "Y" AND "9") TO RECALL 04V-110. THE RECALLED CADILLACS WILL RECEIVE THE NEW STAINLESS STEEL FUEL RAILS. THIS ENGINEERING ANALYSIS IS CLOSED.

Logan, i was able to find much of this info on the net today(NHTSA campaign # 04V110000 is about the 4.0 northstars)...however, the most important part, concerning the 4.6 V8 motor, i'm seeing here for the first time...i spoke to three dealers today, and got no satisfaction what so ever...now that this recall is in effect, how long will it take before we are notified??...bob

Everyone knew about the Olds. The April date was what...6 weeks ago?

Everyone needs to see the highlighted part toward the end.

NHTSA Action Number : EA04003 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : 04V110000

Make : CADILLAC Model: DEVILLE

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Year : 1995

Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE

Date Investigation Opened : February 3, 2004

Date Investigation Closed : April 23, 2004

Summary:

ON MARCH 3, 2004, GENERAL MOTORS NOTIFIED ODI THAT IT WAS RECALLING APPROXIMATELY 94,000 MY 1995-97 OLDSMOBILE AURORA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L V8 ENGINES (RPO L47 - VIN8 "C") TO ADDRESS CONCERNS WITH UNDERHOOD FUEL LEAKAGE FROM CRACKED FUEL RAILS AND, IN SOME OF THE VEHICLES, CRACKED FUEL RETURN LINES. ACCORDING TO GM, THE NYLON TUBING (PA12) USED IN THE FUEL RAIL CONSTRUCTION IN THESE VEHICLES MAY DEGRADE AND CRACK. GM'S SUPPLIER ATTRIBUTED THE CRACKING TO THE COMBINED EFFECTS OF HEAT, TIME, ALCOHOL FUEL, FUEL PRESSURE CYCLING, AND DESIGN STRESSES. IN ADDITION, GM STATED THAT THE MY 1995 AURORA USES A UNIQUE UNDERHOOD FUEL RETURN LINE THAT MAY ALSO CRACK AT UNUSUALLY HIGH RATES. GM DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW FUEL RAIL CONSTRUCTED OUT OF STAINLESS STEEL IN ALL OF THE RECALLED VEHICLES AND WILL ALSO INSTALL A REVISED CHASSIS FUEL RETURN LINE IN THE MY 1995 AURORAS. ON APRIL 16, 2004, GENERAL MOTORS NOTIFIED ODI THAT IT WAS ADDING APPROXIMATELY 389,000 MY 1995-97 CADILLAC SEVILLE, DEVILLE AND ELDORADO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.6L V8 ENGINES (RPO'S LD8 AND L37 - VIN8 "Y" AND "9") TO RECALL 04V-110. THE RECALLED CADILLACS WILL RECEIVE THE NEW STAINLESS STEEL FUEL RAILS. THIS ENGINEERING ANALYSIS IS CLOSED.

Print this out.....show it to the dealer. Suggest he makes some calls and try to find you a stainless steel line.

He could put a new plastic one in the meantime.....but....be clear....thats ok.....but GM is footing the bill. Parts and labor.

Then when he gets the SS ones in. They can do the job all over again.

ON APRIL 16, 2004, GENERAL MOTORS NOTIFIED ODI THAT IT WAS ADDING APPROXIMATELY 389,000 MY 1995-97 CADILLAC SEVILLE, DEVILLE AND ELDORADO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.6L V8 ENGINES (RPO'S LD8 AND L37 - VIN8 "Y" AND "9") TO RECALL 04V-110. THE RECALLED CADILLACS WILL RECEIVE THE NEW STAINLESS STEEL FUEL RAILS.

Oooh -- this IS news (to me at least). Thanks Logan!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Re: What about '93-94 models?

Dont know, it may have been a supplier or material change issue. Could be related to changes made for OBDII. Honestly, I thought they would recall all the cars with the plastic fuel rails. This could change. We knew some Northstars would be recalled after the Aurora recall came out. They may be trying to replace the vehicle range with the largest population still on the road. I'm sure there is a plan somewhere.

Re: VIN range.

I think each and every one will be pulled in for the newer SS rail. But, there could be, in some cases, be a VIN range. Some late '94s could very easily have a '95 designated fuel rail.

I just called my dealership with my VIN (for my '97 SLS) and after being on hold for a little while, he stated there are no outstanding campaigns for that VIN. I guess I'll print out Logan's post from above and physically walk into the dealership and see what they say.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived